Ambient Temperature Probe

Discussion about all kinds of Mechanical and Electronic Smoker Controls
Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Ambient Temperature Probe

Post by Texasbowhunter » April 8th, 2020, 9:16 am

I was curious as to what you guys have experienced...
I bought a inexpensive ambient probe ( NTC 100K Temperature Sensor Probe Cable 300°C for Temp Controller BBQ Oven Meat) from eBay and wired it in to my controller running it internally inside the walls to hide all the wires that would otherwise be between the door...
My question here is I was getting some serious false reading of -45* readings this last smoke...another words I had the readings of my controller reading 230 in the CC and it was actually 45* lower then displayed...
I reached out to fireboard since I have considered them as a source to monitor my temps in my foods...
While talking with Customer Service she said if you get 6 mos.(average)-1 yr your (doing extremely well)...we only offer 6 months warranty on our temperature probes she stated...
She mentioned one could possibly get better life out of a probe to get a higher quality probe...
So my question here is who offers a longer life expectancy in temperature probes so I don't have to replace every 6 months or so?
Also another thought I had was I use H2O for cooking and am curious if this could be reason for a pre-mature failure?
Paul

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: Ambient Temperature Probe

Post by JKalchik » April 8th, 2020, 11:46 am

I'm still running on both the chamber thermocouple that I've had for 2+ years, and the food probes that I've had for 4+ years with my HeaterMeter. As long as the cabling is kept intact, and the end capsule is in place, not soaked, etc., I don't see much reason at all for the temperature sensors, especially a thermocouple, to stop functioning.

I can understand a manufacturer only offering a limited warranty period, though. Accidents will happen, and it's not a flaw in materials or design, yet still get handed back as a warranty claim.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Ambient Temperature Probe

Post by Dirtytires » April 8th, 2020, 11:57 am

I’ve had my thermworks probes (4 of them) and they are still accurate after 3+ years and show no sign of giving up anytime soon.

Might be time to change manufacture if you are only getting 6 months out of a probe.

Return to “Smoker Controls. Mechanical and electronic”