First RF build

Discussion about Reverse Flow Smokers
Spearhead

First RF build

Post by Spearhead » March 22nd, 2022, 10:01 am

Alright guys it's still in it's infancy but wanted to get your input before I get too far.

Trailer and frame is all 2X2X.125 all other construction will be 0.250".

I have a few question I have before I continue:

1. It seems that it sits a bit high but I'm 6'2 and don't feel like hunching over to do my cooking what is a typical cook height?
2. The RF distance to the end of the CC is 1.75" in listening to the podcast this seems like it would be about right??
3. I will be adding another baffle plate flush with the bottom of the throat opening extending in roughly 12" to try an eliminate a hotspot on the FB end. will that be long enough?

I haven't adding any venting yet to the FB but I'm not concerned with that I will have more than I need to accommodate airflow no matter the wind direction. I'll also add custom hinges, latches and all the other fancy stuff once the core is dialed in.

Feel free to blast away, with the price of steel it would be nice to nail this on the first try.

Thanks in advance

SMOKER.pdf
(875.02 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Capture.JPG

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: First RF build

Post by Dirtytires » March 22nd, 2022, 10:28 am

I always like my main cook surface to be about counter height so aim for about 36 inches from the ground. This makes my upper rack at about 41" and this seems to work well. It's fine to adjust as for your preferences but don't get too high that you you can't open your cooker door.

Sorry, not sure what you are asking in your second question.

For the third, I would think 12 inches is a pretty good place to start for your shadow plate.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: First RF build

Post by Big T » March 22nd, 2022, 7:45 pm

:yth: I think you're asking about your BP gap, if so it can be as small as 25% of the recommended throat size so 1.75 X 24 puts you at about 50% of the throat size. That is definitely within the size requirement. I've never built one with a BP gap that tight, I normally have mine in the 90-100% range so I can't say how it'll perform. You could leave the BP at the length that would give you the 1.75 gap, weld your grease dam closer to 100% gap size and run some test fires. If you need/want to open it up a little it would be as simple as reaching in with a torch and shaving off a little bit of the BP. The shadow plate needs to be above the throat and about an inch or so below the BP.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.