UDS Template And Parts Kits

Discussion about Ugly Drum Smokers (UDS)
Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

UDS Template And Parts Kits

Post by Frank_Cox » July 9th, 2021, 4:40 pm

Hey fellers!
I have been getting a lot of questions about where to get UDS Parts and kits lately.
Well, due to COVID and whoever else you want to blame for the economy... :BDHorse:
we had to discontinue making the parts and are now focusing our production efforts on the custom built smokers.

In an effort to keep the magic goin for the UDS fans out there I made the FREE UDS Plans available for download and the template is available for free shipping at this link...

Click here : DOWNLOAD YOUR FREE UDS PLANS

So as for the parts...
I made this handy spreadsheet which contains links to all the parts that I think are the closest to what we were making that match the DraftMaster Kit.
You can download the spreadsheet here...

UDSParts Links.xlsx
(6.46 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
[/b][/size]

They do have other parts available but these are the ones I feel fit the best.

Hope this helps!
Frank :beer: :beer:

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Re: UDS Template And Parts Kits

Post by tinspark » July 10th, 2021, 6:07 pm

I like it, Thanks Mr Frank!!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

paradisepwoffrd

Post by paradisepwoffrd » December 14th, 2021, 4:52 pm

Just seeing this. Thanks Frank.

I seem to recall you offering 2" uprights and a 3" exhaust for a drum that will run higher temps?

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 14th, 2021, 7:43 pm

paradisepwoffrd wrote:
December 14th, 2021, 4:52 pm
Just seeing this. Thanks Frank.

I seem to recall you offering 2" uprights and a 3" exhaust for a drum that will run higher temps?
The more air that you allow to get the the coals, the hotter it will get.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

paradisepwoffrd

Post by paradisepwoffrd » January 4th, 2022, 11:48 am

Another question about the UDS parts. If there is a better place to ask, please move it, or let me know.

I am wanting to upgrade my drum to a better firebasket. I saw your video, plans, and links to the heat shield, block off plate, and deflector plate, and it brought up a few questions.
- What purpose does the heat shield serve, other than holding the block off plate? I understand the block off plate basically limits the airflow up the smoker, and directs it into the fire.
- The deflector/baffle plate. I understand the value of it maintaining a steady fire, and temp swings. Do you notice any difference in the taste of the meat when using it? One of the values of the drum, IMO, is that the drippings in the coals and release a flavor in the steam/smoke. The baffle plate would prevent this from happening, but not sure that it matters?

Thanks for all the info, and providing everyone with options when you cant continue making them yourself.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » January 13th, 2022, 8:36 am

Sorry for the late reply,

So the heat shield primarily protects the paint on the outside of the smoker. Other than that it does hold up a Baffle plate.

You can use the drum without the block off plate and the baffle plate but when the lid is open it turns into a rocket stove essentially.

The Baffle plate and the block off plate kind of work together to not only put the air directly through the coal bed in the charcoal basket but also to prevent huge temperature spikes when the lid is left open for a long period of time.

The other thing the baffle plate does is evenly distribute the air in a circular pattern around the drum instead of it all coming up in the middle.
There’s not a lot of airflow going through the drum so what little there is we want to be more effective with it.
Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “UDS Smokers”