Does firebrick offer any insulation qualities?

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
737diesel
beginner
beginner

Does firebrick offer any insulation qualities?

Post by 737diesel » July 20th, 2022, 12:55 pm

Hi there, I'm building a 24x48 standard offset, and I just welded on my firebox on. My firebox is 24x24, steel pipe that the pipe yard calls .330
They claim it was supposed to be 3/8 but it came out a little under. Anyways, it's some heavy stuff. I asked earlier if having a firebox at 150% (according to the calculator) was going to be a problem, and most said no way. I am using a lot of ideas from Workhorse 1975 pit, and their firebox is the same as mine.
I am in the Pacific NW, and my question is, does firebrick help any in insulating during colder weather?

Thanks
Chris

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Does firebrick offer any insulation qualities?

Post by Big T » July 20th, 2022, 5:59 pm

Quite a few guys have used fire bricks for insulating their FB. I wouldn't bother putting them on the floor of the FB because there's very minimal heat loss through the floor. You could put them in the floor if you're just trying to cut down on the volume of the FB.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by sandro » July 21st, 2022, 12:00 am

Some pit builders insulate the bottom of the firebox to retain heat from the coal bed (ie: Fat Stack); however I don't think it's that much of a game changer beyond the first couple of hours of cook—it won't be long until you'll have a good thick layer of ashes between the live coals and the metal. That said, firebricks are so cheap I wouldn't even bother discussing it, get some and try. RaleighSmoke had good results on his Brazos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6HI-EhQVME

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 21st, 2022, 10:42 am

Only drawback to firebricks is they are heavy. You already have a heavy pit but it can be a concern just the same. You added extra steel weigh with an oversized firebox and are going to fix it by adding heavy bricks. Not much of a problem it it's stationary but, believe me, every pound counts when you try to move these things around.

sandro
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by sandro » July 21st, 2022, 10:53 am

Our firebricks come in 1" and 2" thickness, usually 8x4" in size, around 3lb each for the 1" thick ones. Shouldn't be too too much added weight

737diesel
beginner
beginner

Post by 737diesel » July 21st, 2022, 1:16 pm

Ok, thanks for the input. I'm going without them!
Cheers!

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Serious goof
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ThinBlue » July 21st, 2022, 4:00 pm

sandro wrote:Some pit builders insulate the bottom of the firebox to retain heat from the coal bed (ie: Fat Stack); however I don't think it's that much of a game changer beyond the first couple of hours of cook—it won't be long until you'll have a good thick layer of ashes between the live coals and the metal. That said, firebricks are so cheap I wouldn't even bother discussing it, get some and try. RaleighSmoke had good results on his Brazos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6HI-EhQVME
I personally don't understand the insulation on the bottom of a firebox. Heat rises and therefore if you want to retain it you would insulate the top if nothing else. The advantage has got to minimal at best and snake oil at its worst.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Brewmaster » July 21st, 2022, 4:40 pm

Firebricks on the floor really help in maintaining the coal bed, and temper temp-swings/stability when adding splits quite a lot. It's like adding a big heatsink in there to help stabilize things. We've added them in 6 pits total now with noticeable improvements observed in all. They'll also help extend lifespan of the firebox floor (coal bed temperatures are hard on the steel) I'd say go ahead and get to cooking, after a few cooks add the bricks and see if there's any difference. We also use the thin ones.

My Workhorse style firebox pics with bricks, these things really work superbly with these huge fireboxes, it's incredible how much better they run. Cheers and good luck :beer:
PXL_20220128_193053132.jpg
PXL_20220128_193114321.jpg
Last edited by Brewmaster on July 21st, 2022, 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Brewmaster » July 21st, 2022, 4:49 pm

I'll also add that since your fb is 3/8" (almost) that you'll likely experience perhaps somewhat less improvement than ours, as most are 1/4" thick boxes, with one that's only 3/16". Regardless, give it a whirl and report back!
:homer:

ThinBlue
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Serious goof
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ThinBlue » July 22nd, 2022, 11:38 pm

Brewmaster, do you find that you use less wood with the firebrick as well?

Brewmaster
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict

Post by Brewmaster » July 23rd, 2022, 6:56 am

ThinBlue wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 11:38 pm
Brewmaster, do you find that you use less wood with the firebrick as well?

Maybe a bit, hard to tell. I've never paid that much attention and they're all pretty efficient in that a pretty small fire in there to keep them running at temp (which is definitely easier to maintain) Certainly more problematic trying to keep a coal bed without the bricks.

:beer: