what happens if FB is smaller than Calculator suggestion

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
Emre
beginner
beginner

what happens if FB is smaller than Calculator suggestion

Post by Emre » May 30th, 2018, 8:20 am

Hello..
After I learned about how the calculator works than i just realized that some of the smoker manufacturers 500 and 1000 gallon smokers have %40-50 smaller Fireboxes than the calculator. For example, a 1000 gallon offset has a half size 250 gal as FB on it .. which is the nearly half size of what calculator gives.. but this FB has no air intake basically running all the time with full round door open.. is it the manufacturer mistake? if not than what kind of other size differences might balance the missing fb size according to the calculator..such as higher or larger stack dia or larger size throat opening? i checked the same manufacturer 750 gal smoker and it has the same size difference ..lower by %50..

mp4
Expert
Expert
Title: Independent Thinker
BBQ Comp Team Name: Just a few backyard for fun competitions.

Re: what happens if FB is smaller than Calculator suggestion

Post by mp4 » May 30th, 2018, 11:59 am

Some people are just slow learners I suppose!

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 30th, 2018, 4:06 pm

Hard to say why others are different. One of the biggest factors is most likely cost. By cutting out a half sheet of steel on their build they can build it faster and sell it cheaper. You dont realize the shortcomming till after you buy it.

Regardless the reason, the calculators on this site have built 100’s of great, easily controllable pits. There are other calculators out their and many other ideas on the “perfect”way to build a pit and they may work or they may not, i dont know. I built mine on the numbers from this site (thanks pete!) and couldnt be happier. The others might work too but you kinda have to throw all-in to one set of calculations and build it.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » May 30th, 2018, 6:28 pm

:yth: Also you stated that they run their pits with a full load of fuel and the door wide open. I'm not sure how well you are controlling your pit versus just hoping that it works out. Frank just built a 1000 gallon offset pit (Lou ann) using the pit calculator and it doesn't require very much fuel at all to maintain temperature. I have built a few pits of various styles before I found this site and while I was able to figure out a way to get them to perform alright, they were always a pain to work with. I have since built quite a few using the calculator on this site and they all perform like a well oiled machine. They all have their little differences for what ever reason but they all run smooth and respond well to any adjustments of the intakes or exhaust. I will never build another pit without using the calculator.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » May 30th, 2018, 8:56 pm

I have to second that BigT I have built a lot of cookers years ago without any help. But the calculator is a really smart way to do it. Another thing is having a small FB I have to run it so hot it burns out. Using the right size it will out last me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

McBroom
Expert
Expert
Title: Retired U.S.Marine
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by McBroom » May 30th, 2018, 9:59 pm

Big T wrote::yth: Also you stated that they run their pits with a full load of fuel and the door wide open. I'm not sure how well you are controlling your pit versus just hoping that it works out. Frank just built a 1000 gallon offset pit (Lou ann) using the pit calculator and it doesn't require very much fuel at all to maintain temperature. I have built a few pits of various styles before I found this site and while I was able to figure out a way to get them to perform alright, they were always a pain to work with. I have since built quite a few using the calculator on this site and they all perform like a well oiled machine. They all have their little differences for what ever reason but they all run smooth and respond well to any adjustments of the intakes or exhaust. I will never build another pit without using the calculator.
That’s a fact jack!! Pit calculator and don’t look back.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road 6.4L. USMC (ret)