Calculation check

All the calculators you'll need to design your own smoker.
Newsmoke
Needs a Bigger Shop!
Needs a Bigger Shop!

Calculation check

Post by Newsmoke » June 19th, 2018, 1:47 am

Hi everyone,

I have just finished my calculation for my normal off set smoker. I don't understand why I need 5 inlets for the air intake as I am a 100% differential.
If i make it bigger the differential goes up to 180%. So based on the calculations do I need to make 5 air inlets the size I have written in the "air inlets" section? Those are odd numbers for you as we are using Metric system, so I had to convert everything.

I also have a vocabulary problem: is the baffle plate a short plate that is installed in the CC above the FB throat just to avoid a hot temperature in the cooking area just next to the FB? The tuning plate is running across the bottom of the CC to insure a even radiant heat, is it correct? If so is there a thread on how to calculate the spacing and position in the CC? Is that really necessary?

Thanks to all
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 14.33.46.png
Datasheet

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: Calculation check

Post by Pete Mazz » June 19th, 2018, 4:04 am

Look at the recommended size for intakes and use that to size however many you actually want. If it said 90 sq.in. and you wanted 3 intakes, make them 30 each.

For a RF cooker the BP runs from the top of the FB across the CC to force the heat/smoke to flow over the food and out the stack at the FB end. Tuning plates are used in a traditional offset with a stack at the opposite end of the FB.

http://www.smokerbuilder.com/forums/vie ... 148&t=4955

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 19th, 2018, 9:46 am

Yep. To be specific, yours calls for 83 sq inches. I like 1 intake on each side of the firebox so would make them approx 8.25 inches by 5 inches or 4.5 by 9 or whatever looks/fits good on your firebox.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » June 20th, 2018, 9:25 am

Yeah that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Return to “SmokerBuilder® Calculators”