Beginner with smoker building questions..

Forum How-to's, questions or issues and the site slang database.
jlvasquez89

Beginner with smoker building questions..

Post by jlvasquez89 » July 20th, 2018, 7:02 pm

Hello everybody. My name is Jeff. I'm new to the site. A little while back a bought a used water tank I had seen for sale on Facebook. I had planned on making it into a smoker at when I was on my way out to pick it up. Once I saw the size in person, I thought it would be cool to close up the middle and have a charcoal grill on one side and a reverse flow smoker on the other. The main question I have right now, is will it be difficult to maintain the correct heat on the smoker side if its split up like that. If not, how big of a firebox should I build for it? I'm sure this is a stupid question, like I said I'm new to it all. Any tips and recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you.
Attachments
20180711_185739.jpg
20180711_185750.jpg

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Beginner with smoker building questions..

Post by Big T » July 20th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Welcome aboard! The design that you mentioned isn't really ideal because the FB needs to be mounted low on the cook chamber for everything to work right. You could put a false double wall in the middle and add a FB on one end for a RF and build a charcoal grill on the other end. You can plug you dimensions into the pit calculator and it'll figure your FB size and other dimensions.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

jlvasquez89

Post by jlvasquez89 » July 20th, 2018, 9:05 pm

I was planning on building the firebox low one one end. Thanks for the info. I'll have to check out the calculator so I can draw it up.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » July 20th, 2018, 9:49 pm

So, I am picturing a normal reverse flo smoker using half the pipe and then a charcoal grill using the other half of the same pipe. Right?

No reason why it won’t work but a few things to consider. First, a hot charcoal grill (in use) on one side is totally going to play games with your temp co troll on the smoker. It would be like having 2 heat sources for a smoker and I would think challenging to control. Second is size/weight. Assuming it will be mobile, I see a lot of extra weight to move around then only 1 side is needed.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 20th, 2018, 10:14 pm

A sketch would definitely help us to see what you have in mind. I remember a build that was similar to this a few years ago that a member built and I believe that he put a double wall between the smoker CC and the grill so that he didn't have the radiant heat from the grill causing temperature issues in the smoker side. I know that TQ builds a 36'' grill directly on the end of some of his builds and the guys that use them love them so it will work if done correctly.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » July 27th, 2018, 3:55 am

Options come to mind: cut completely In half and make two separate units.
Double wall the divider with insulation so the effect of two heat sources is not as extreme.
Just go big and make it one large reverse flow unit.
With a job this large I'd think pretty serious about what you will actually use it for. Do you need a separate side.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » July 28th, 2018, 10:51 am

Welcome to the crew!

Given enough info for what you want to build we can help you spend your money. LoL

Making memories!

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Mule rider
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by Mule rider » November 29th, 2018, 11:55 pm

If I am hearing you right you want to cut that tank in half and make a smoker and a griller with it? Cutting it in half you would have very low cooking chamber.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » November 30th, 2018, 3:45 am

Welcome.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford