Stack elbow size

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Gizmo
Founder
Founder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Edna's Kids Comp Team - KCBS Certified Judge

Re: Stack elbow size

Post by Gizmo » October 25th, 2013, 9:14 pm

Lookin' good! :kewl:

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D
Current smokers: Egor (trailered RF) and Easybake (tabletop pellet drive)

Rodcrafter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » October 26th, 2013, 10:16 am

:LG:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » October 26th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Saturday is productive at times. Got a bunch done today and a few minor problems I think I need to get a few answers to before moving too much further. Here is a picture of my trailer layout. It is 2x3 box tubing 11 gauge. It measures 10 feet long by 4 feet wide as you see it here.
image.jpg
This oil tank smoker is just over 1/8" thick. I may be mistaken but it appears that most of the cookers I have seen here are attached to the trailer but the firebox is hanging off the back. The firebox , as I see it, just cannot be hanging off the back of the trailer un-supported. It is so heavy I can no longer lift it and I do not have the top welded on yet. I think that after a few miles of bouncing down the road, it could fatigue the attachment to the 1/8" steel side of the tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg
This photo is older, the sides are on it now as is the slide rails for the fire basket and ash pan
My thought is to create a portion of the back of the trailer that will help support the firebox as well as the smoker. Is this correct? OR, is the firebox usually attached to the trailer as well?

Heres another question....is 10 feet too long for a unit that is 7 1/2' total length and how much ground clearance should be under the firebox when the entire cooker is mounted on the trailer?

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » October 27th, 2013, 5:49 am

Best expert with the most experience on here would be TQ when it comes to trailer strength/design. Drop him a PM about the length - I'm sure he'll have some sage advice on that subject.

Your concern over the weld joining the FB to the CC is very valid. I like to see a couple serious "feet" welded between the FB and the trailer frame to spread the load and get some stability to the FB.

The old adage we used back when I was building boat trailers years ago was that if you don't establish a good ground clearance then a railroad crossing will. (ouch) If you can get a good working height at the grates with the FB floor no lower than the trailer then you've got the best of both worlds. I think TQ leaves a "notch" in the frame at the back for the FB to drop down into which allows him to lower the whole rig on the trailer - when you're talking about that much weight, it's significant. He also can move the cooker forward and back inside this notch to find the tongue weight he wants.

Unfortunately very few, if any of us, draw up the cooker/trailer as a unit so this dimension can be adjusted before it's too late - maybe because they were building a patio model until they realized how heavy it was going to be and changed their minds to a trailer-mounted style. …. but I'm rambling …. :D

And on the eighth day God created barbecue …. because he DOES love us and he wants us to be happy. :D

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » October 27th, 2013, 8:44 am

:yth:
I would want some support for that firebox. It sounds like you may be able to notch the trailer and slide the cooker forward, and tie the FB to the trailer. But you also have to keep the balance right. I like to be able to lift the trailer tongue fairly easily by myself.

For ground clearance I like a 6 inch minimum.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 27th, 2013, 9:09 am

Ouch is right. I will pm TQ. I did read all of the posts he made with pictures of his trailers and I think 10 ft is a bit too much. He has a few bigger units in less. I might be better doing 10 feet over all but as you see it laid out, there is no tongue yet. As for the notch, he does this. I studied the pictures on so many others at 1 am as this was burning a hole in my brain. When they all started to look the same, I gave up. Some pictures say a thousand words and some ..nuttin'.

Tongue load ...I agree. I like to be able to lift it but I do see a few pictures of the axles winding up just about under the FB junction

Gizmo, this was never intended to be trailer mounted. Unfortunately the reality of moving it around hit me after getting it started so your words are right on target. I did find that I will have between 11 and 14 inches of FB bottom clearance and that will place the slide out grates at a perfect height. With the tank about 18-20 inches elevated I'd have to still bend down to look into the top tray...another 10 inches of lift will do good.

Thank you both ...I'm off to pm TQ

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » October 27th, 2013, 1:44 pm

:yth:

I would say about the same thing. I support both ends of my CC and FB so there is not two pieces but one.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 27th, 2013, 4:32 pm

image.jpg
I am really wondering how many hours I have spent getting this far and how many more I have to go. But this is ready .

Gizmo
Founder
Founder

Post by Gizmo » October 27th, 2013, 4:40 pm

THat looks great! where did you get your pipe?

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » October 27th, 2013, 5:23 pm

Puff I sent you a pm.... forgot to say but for me 8" clearance on the firebox is more than enough clearance. I like a tight look!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"

Puff
Expert
Expert

Post by Puff » October 27th, 2013, 5:52 pm

TQ, thank your for the advice... I absolutely appreciate the guidance. The photo you saw is only the cut pieces laid on the floor. I have not welded anything. Believe it or not, I was not doing anything until I read your reply. You are the most highly regarded source on the forum and everyone here told me to get your advice first. I have a bunch of other stuff to work on so it can wait.

Thanks again... :beer:

TuscaloosaQ
Expert
Expert
Title: Truly blessed

Post by TuscaloosaQ » October 27th, 2013, 5:58 pm

No problem puff, people have been gracious to help me over the years!!!!!

TuscaloosaQ AKA"white knight of the blue light"