Fire box fabrication

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Smokin1◇4fun
beginner
beginner
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Fire box fabrication

Post by Smokin1◇4fun » May 30th, 2021, 10:39 pm

Hi guy, Hope everyone is well. I'm a new member wiith a question about my first smoker build. I'm sure everyone is aware of the price of steel as well as lumber and gasoline. My local fabrication shop priced me over $600 for for a 1/4" 4'x8" sheet. That isn't in my budget so I started looking to scrapyards And was able to get A full 1/8" 4'x8' one full 1/16" 4'x8' and two pieces of 1/8" that probably make up more than a full sheet for $200. I'm at the point where I can start building my fire box so my question is can I double the 1/8" on the top, bottom and sides of my fire box and plug weld it without having issues of separation and/ or warping once i start burning fires? I appreciate any help and look forward to reading your replies. Have a good one guys.
Smokin1◇4fun.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Fire box fabrication

Post by Dirtytires » May 31st, 2021, 12:24 pm

We have had guys try to sandwich steel in the past. I'm not a big fan of it as you will still have two pieces of steel that will heat/cool at different rates. Also, if you only weld one side on your edges, it is pretty easy to miss a full-bead on the inner layer. Long story short, it greatly increases the chance of the pieces distorting. Personally, I wouldn't do it....and especially not for a firebox.

I know steel is stupid priced right now. Read a 'steel futures' forecast that projected prices to drop drastically by end of the year as more capacity comes on line and imports pick up. Tho it's tough to wait, it might be a good idea to hold off and make this a winter project as it could possible cut your steel bill by 50-70% if prices settle back to the 20year average.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » May 31st, 2021, 12:28 pm

On the flip side, I happen to have a half sheet of new 0.25" that I bought a few years ago. Bet if I looked up what I paid for it and calculated price to ship it to you, it would still be cheaper than current prices.

Scary thought.....

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 1st, 2021, 8:13 pm

Lol. Yes. Scary.

Recommendations on finding a supplier that sells cutoffs/drops. I’m still finding drops at .45/lb if you can wait for what you are looking for. Got some 3/8 and 1/4 at that price in the last month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 2nd, 2021, 11:53 am

Dirtytires wrote:
May 31st, 2021, 12:24 pm
I know steel is stupid priced right now. Read a 'steel futures' forecast that projected prices to drop drastically by end of the year as more capacity comes on line and imports pick up. Tho it's tough to wait, it might be a good idea to hold off and make this a winter project as it could possible cut your steel bill by 50-70% if prices settle back to the 20year average.
Brother, I hope you're right!
There are some places near steel mills usually that handle what I call "seconds" They are hard to find though.
If you are willing to buy larger sized sheets... like really big ones- say 96x240 and 1/4 thick you can usually get some real good pricing but that stuff get's gobbled up fast!

Good luck to ya Smokin1◇4fun :beer:

Smokin1◇4fun
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin1◇4fun » June 3rd, 2021, 10:09 am

Thanks guys. I ended up finding a used piece at the same scrap yard. He was asking $50 I just had to cut the welds holding a couple pieces of square tubing. He also priced me a 40" piece of 6" steel casing that I'll use for my chimney for $25 which I thought wasn't a bad deal.

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » June 3rd, 2021, 10:31 am

Smokin1◇4fun wrote:
June 3rd, 2021, 10:09 am
Thanks guys. I ended up finding a used piece at the same scrap yard. He was asking $50 I just had to cut the welds holding a couple pieces of square tubing. He also priced me a 40" piece of 6" steel casing that I'll use for my chimney for $25 which I thought wasn't a bad deal.
That's a great deal!! :beer:

Smokin1◇4fun
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin1◇4fun » June 3rd, 2021, 5:33 pm

20210530_050136.jpg
Here's where I'm at on the build. I'm still straighting the corners on the top lid from warping when I welded in the patches where I cut the bungs out.
20210530_044935.jpg

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 4th, 2021, 10:12 am

Are you putting it on a trailer? Seems low to the ground. Love the design though.
I see these tanks online all the time. How was it to work with? How thick is the steel? Was it a pain to clean out?

Smokin1◇4fun
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin1◇4fun » June 11th, 2021, 10:22 am

It's on temporary support right now. I would like to put it on a trailer but money is limited and steel prices have skyrocketed. If I dont, then I'll hoist it up, support it with cribbing and build a square tube frame with 10" pneumatic wheels for mobility. It's thin steel, 1/16". It's given me some trouble with movement and warping so I decided to name it trouble. I'm still fighting with the top lid reshaping it so it seals better. As far as cleaning the inside a wire cup brush and flap disc took care of it. It was in great shape when I got it.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 11th, 2021, 5:43 pm

Thx for the details. I image with as thin as it is it would give you some trouble. Looks really nice though. Tons of room too.

Smokin1◇4fun
beginner
beginner

Post by Smokin1◇4fun » June 11th, 2021, 11:33 pm

Many thanks. This is my first one.