250 gal oval tank build questions.

Tips and tricks for everything related to finishing your smoker.
Nmggmn2

250 gal oval tank build questions.

Post by Nmggmn2 » June 18th, 2021, 9:15 pm

I have tank free planing on opening it up and building fire in it to burn off any residuals. Couple of Questions

1 what is the best layout vertical the way it holds fuel or horizontal? for smoking whole hog 50-100lbs.
Most will be on the 50lb size but want ability to go larger later.

2. How is the best way to hinge and seal doors? I was thinking basic barrel hinges but not sure. And have no idea on how to seal door.

I have basic mig welder. Plasma cutter, and cutoff wheels for fab tools no special breaks or fancy stuff.

I have read a bunch of threads and haven’t seen answers to these questions, not saying that they aren’t here just having hard time finding. once I get going I’ll post pics of build. Thanks Y’all :biggrillin: :BDHorse: :BDHorse: :BDHorse:

dacolson

Re: 250 gal oval tank build questions.

Post by dacolson » June 18th, 2021, 11:16 pm

1. You’re building a hog smoker? Haven’t seen a vertical hog smoker before. I think horizontal is the way you want to go. For fuel, I like the cookers that have a pull out coal tray that puts the right under the pig. Helps crisp up the skin.
2. Barrel hinges work great. Otherwise just about every build on here has an example of homemade or prefab hinges. You can also see a lot of good examples of how people seal their doors - outside or inside door flanges which gaskets to seal up tight.
With a mig, plasma and an angle grinder, there’s just about nothing you can’t build. Post your questions, i guarantee someone has experience with it and can help you out.

Good luck with the build!