Gravity Feed #5

Also called Stump's Clone.
johnnywoz

Re: Gravity Feed #5

Post by johnnywoz » April 25th, 2019, 8:51 am

In your March 12 post, you have a picture of your firebox, what is that handle in there above the wood chunk??? I'm about to build one of these smokers and have the plans from 'SmokeBuilder' but I don't see that detail.

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » April 25th, 2019, 10:15 am

My bet would be that's the handle for a removable grate under the firebox. Personally, I consider a removable grate to be pretty much required. It's easy enough to build, 2 pieces of angle welded inside the ash box, and a grate welded up from re-rod and and angle.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

h2orescuemedic
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by h2orescuemedic » May 12th, 2019, 5:08 pm

its the grate that the charcoal sits on. If i was to build another one i would add about a 1/16 of an inch to the angle iron that it sits on, It needs just a little wiggle room to make a touch easier to pull out. Its a little tight on mine,

Chromeski
Expert
Expert

Post by Chromeski » May 14th, 2019, 2:02 am

h2orescuemedic wrote:
May 12th, 2019, 5:08 pm
its the grate that the charcoal sits on. If i was to build another one i would add about a 1/16 of an inch to the angle iron that it sits on, It needs just a little wiggle room to make a touch easier to pull out. Its a little tight on mine,
You could "polish" the grate a bit with your angle grinder. If it's tough now it will probably get worse with rust and ash building up.

h2orescuemedic
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by h2orescuemedic » July 10th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Chromeski, Thats a good idea, I just wiggle it and it slides out with out much trouble. you can't just pull strait, it will bind, but with a little shaking it starts moving.

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by ajfoxy » July 10th, 2019, 9:56 pm

As Chromeski said, dress the grate with an angle grinder, even taking the corners off to aid quick removal.

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Marvo

Post by Marvo » April 9th, 2021, 4:12 pm

h2orescuemedic wrote:
February 26th, 2019, 8:25 pm
Tapped up and ready for powder coat. They talked me into high temp gray, They was afraid the temp of the chimney would make the paint soft and it would discolor,
How hot does that high temp powder coat go up to? Have you had any issues since you put it on?