Our Gravity Feed Smoker design and build.

Also called Stump's Clone.
dacolson

Re: Our Gravity Feed Smoker design and build.

Post by dacolson » September 3rd, 2020, 8:13 pm

I cook a lot on the big green egg still for those reasons - just not big enough to do more than a couple butts or briskets. Set it and forget it for 16+ hours.

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » September 3rd, 2020, 8:20 pm

dacolson wrote:Never thought I'd like a GF. Just spent a few minute reading through this build again. Starting to get an itch to build one. You did a killer job. Looks awesome. And the meat! Only just after breakfast and my stomach is growling again ...
Thanks, I do like the way it turned out. A friend who does eat here quiet often said that those were the best ribs I had made. A good sign so far.

I am camping this weekend if not I would be doing more smoking on the new smoker. I will be using the WSM while camping.

I say start your build, you will be happy. This one is relatively small and can cook more than all my others combined (or maybe the same amount).

Of course let me know when you start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » September 3rd, 2020, 8:24 pm

tinspark wrote:
dacolson wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:44 am
Never thought I'd like a GF. Just spent a few minute reading through this build again. Starting to get an itch to build one. You did a killer job. Looks awesome. And the meat! Only just after breakfast and my stomach is growling again ...
Yeah, me too. Dargo's build inspired me to try non-insulated around the fuel chute. (looks way cooler, to me at least) I figured I could always insulate it later if there was a problem. Did a bunch of that stuff in the past at work at industrial plants we were contracted through, so I knew It wouldn't be a problem, and I could make it look good too. I was going to build a bigger stick burner as my second build, In fact I even purchased the CNC files and plans to build a 24x48. I already have the tank for it too, but..........I decided to do a GF instead. I read a bunch of stuff on here how much everyone loved theirs, and just being able to load charcoal and a few pieces of wood in the ash compartment seemed to be really appealing. Then add a FlameBoss controller to dial things in. That sounded real good! I have always loved making and managing fire from boyhood camping and backpacking, and still really enjoy it.And picked it right up after I buildt my current stick burner, which I love!! But........ there are times when I want to cook and it is 115 degrees out (like they are forecasting this labor day weekend here, record heat), and the air quality is so bad (purple, which is about as bad as it can get) that if you do not have an N95 mask you shouldn't go outside (wildfires here in central CA). I tried it and had a splitting head ache all evening!! My next cook I wore one of my welding N95's with no issue, but that just seems crazy that I need to do that!! So I decided to go with a GF for multiple reasons. I just insulated mine and added the external skins. I am looking forward to getting my GF fired up and going, hopefully soon.. Will post pics on my GF build thread after I am farther along..
I was giving you a day or two more before I went over and asked for more pics. I figured you had some more work done.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » September 3rd, 2020, 11:37 pm

Dargo wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 8:24 pm
tinspark wrote:
dacolson wrote:
September 3rd, 2020, 9:44 am
Never thought I'd like a GF. Just spent a few minute reading through this build again. Starting to get an itch to build one. You did a killer job. Looks awesome. And the meat! Only just after breakfast and my stomach is growling again ...
Yeah, me too. Dargo's build inspired me to try non-insulated around the fuel chute. (looks way cooler, to me at least) I figured I could always insulate it later if there was a problem. Did a bunch of that stuff in the past at work at industrial plants we were contracted through, so I knew It wouldn't be a problem, and I could make it look good too. I was going to build a bigger stick burner as my second build, In fact I even purchased the CNC files and plans to build a 24x48. I already have the tank for it too, but..........I decided to do a GF instead. I read a bunch of stuff on here how much everyone loved theirs, and just being able to load charcoal and a few pieces of wood in the ash compartment seemed to be really appealing. Then add a FlameBoss controller to dial things in. That sounded real good! I have always loved making and managing fire from boyhood camping and backpacking, and still really enjoy it.And picked it right up after I buildt my current stick burner, which I love!! But........ there are times when I want to cook and it is 115 degrees out (like they are forecasting this labor day weekend here, record heat), and the air quality is so bad (purple, which is about as bad as it can get) that if you do not have an N95 mask you shouldn't go outside (wildfires here in central CA). I tried it and had a splitting head ache all evening!! My next cook I wore one of my welding N95's with no issue, but that just seems crazy that I need to do that!! So I decided to go with a GF for multiple reasons. I just insulated mine and added the external skins. I am looking forward to getting my GF fired up and going, hopefully soon.. Will post pics on my GF build thread after I am farther along..
I was giving you a day or two more before I went over and asked for more pics. I figured you had some more work done.

I haven't had too much time this week to do too much, but am getting close.
Happy with the insulation and skins being done and am pretty stoked with it overall
Gotta hang the CC door, miter and install trim pcs., build racks Hoping to do a test burn next week before I decide on paint.
Grates can come after burn, or before. All material on hand, just need some time and motivation to "get er' done", as the famous U.S. poet used to say. (AKA Larry the Cable Guy) HA!
definitely not doing a high heat silver based on the blotchy affect that Big T experienced.
Glad to know that your best ribs were on your new GF. Good sign!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » September 12th, 2020, 6:48 pm

I am getting better at controlling temps, but not as good as I want to yet.

I made some pulled pork and it is the best I have ever done and the most moist.

Also my longest cook, 22 hours. A few of those hours was because I over slept and the pit cooled down some. But I learned a trick, put an inflator pointing towards the valve and got the temp back up in a few minutes. Next time I start her up I will use this trick.

Proof:

dacolson

Post by dacolson » September 12th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Looks really good. 22 hours! That’s a haul! This is the fun part though. Dialing it in.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » September 12th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Looks great

Regards,

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » October 24th, 2020, 7:04 pm

So I finally started painting the smoker. Bought a set of air spray guns and upgraded my compressor. This is my first ever paint job with air guns and automotive paint.

Primer:

The original color I wanted the paint shop could only mix in a certain type of paint and it would have cost a little more than I wanted to pay. I ended up with Sunset Orange. I am happy with it.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » October 24th, 2020, 7:32 pm

Holy crap that looks awesome Dargo. Nice work!

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 24th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Nice!

edit: I remember the first time I painted on a automobile. I had a gun and an air compressor and needed to paint a blue pickup door white. My FIL replaced a door on my wife's pickup and it did not match. I went the the parts store and bought a quart of industrial white and nothing else. I did not know what was needed to do it right. I sanded the door dry with 200 grit and poured the paint in the gun and sprayed it without thinning it. The paint jib came out perfect in that it matched the original color, was shiny, no orange peel, and no sanding marks...it was a perfect job. So, that got me thinking painting cars was easy and I tackled my own car with a complete color change....yeah that one did not go so well. First attempt I used whatever thinner I had on hand and when dry I peeled the paint off with a thumb nail. Second attempt the guy at the store told me I did not need a hardener.....paint looked good until the dust settled on it and melted into the paint out in the sun. Paid someone to fix it after that.

It took another 15 years before I finally got it right. I learned how to paint in cold weather and did several full restorations with full paint and body work that came out very professional. I then got very OCD about my paint and just never could do a good enough job to satisfy myself. Everyone else thought they were perfect but I saw the flaws. I despise painting cars now and will not do it anymore. I do have a Jeep top to restore and paint in the next year and I may just pay someone to do the top coat.

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » October 24th, 2020, 10:56 pm

towtruck wrote:Nice!

edit: I remember the first time I painted on a automobile. I had a gun and an air compressor and needed to paint a blue pickup door white. My FIL replaced a door on my wife's pickup and it did not match. I went the the parts store and bought a quart of industrial white and nothing else. I did not know what was needed to do it right. I sanded the door dry with 200 grit and poured the paint in the gun and sprayed it without thinning it. The paint jib came out perfect in that it matched the original color, was shiny, no orange peel, and no sanding marks...it was a perfect job. So, that got me thinking painting cars was easy and I tackled my own car with a complete color change....yeah that one did not go so well. First attempt I used whatever thinner I had on hand and when dry I peeled the paint off with a thumb nail. Second attempt the guy at the store told me I did not need a hardener.....paint looked good until the dust settled on it and melted into the paint out in the sun. Paid someone to fix it after that.

It took another 15 years before I finally got it right. I learned how to paint in cold weather and did several full restorations with full paint and body work that came out very professional. I then got very OCD about my paint and just never could do a good enough job to satisfy myself. Everyone else thought they were perfect but I saw the flaws. I despise painting cars now and will not do it anymore. I do have a Jeep top to restore and paint in the next year and I may just pay someone to do the top coat.
Hahahaha,
Great story. I can totally see this happen to me also. This job is definitely not perfect and I think it did not come out smooth enough. In better light tomorrow I will see. Since it is not a car I think I will be happy with it though. It was definitely a fun little project and if it holds up, I may do other things. One thing I will never use is that thin plastic to make my make shift booth, blue tarp next time. This stuff broke so easily.

I think I move the gun to fast, which is my guess for the slight orange peel.

Time will tell what other projects I will do. My son already wants me to paint his bike, painting bike tubes sounds like a pain.

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Our Gravity Feed Smoker design and build.

Post by Dargo » October 25th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Sorry for the dark picture.

Found an engine enamel (VHT brand) that is rated for 550F and is a gloss black finish. I will let you know how it holds up.

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » October 26th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Looks amazing!!!

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » October 26th, 2020, 4:17 pm

Cole Leffert wrote:Looks amazing!!!
Thanks.
Here she is put back together:

dacolson

Post by dacolson » October 26th, 2020, 5:45 pm

:LG:
:LG:

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 26th, 2020, 8:53 pm

:yth: That color looks killer!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » October 27th, 2020, 12:34 am

Very nice!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » November 5th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Don know how I missed these pics
Smoker looks really good!!
Nice contrast

Regards,

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » November 5th, 2020, 4:30 pm

tinspark wrote:Don know how I missed these pics
Smoker looks really good!!
Nice contrast
Thanks.
I was wondering why you had not commented. Figured you did not like it so you stayed quiet, Hahahahaha.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » November 5th, 2020, 6:01 pm

I was away for a week or so and didn't see it.
If it falls off of the main page feed, things can be easily missed
I love it. I like metallic in the orange, Way cool!!

On another note after some buddies saw mine, they have been hitting me up for a smaller version GF than mine.
Not even sure what to charge for one of these things.. I saw Stumps website and some of those things are pricey, but a buddy would likely want a break in price no doubt. I have managed to chase a few others off by telling them what these things retail for. No-one in these parts have ever seen a GF, only seen online.
I have a small shop at my house behind my garage, with a 2' x 2' CNC table, and can index parts, so larger pieces are really no problem, they just take a lot longer to move the sheet to the correct position. I saved all of my DXF files for my GF and could actually grab my files and shrink them (or grow them) with it's DesignEdge CNC/ CADD software, so that I wouldn't have to draw/ redesign most of it. Probably could modify drawings and cut one out in a day. My Hypertherm cuts up to 1/2" like butter, but would only use up to 1/4" plate at the transfer tube (heat sink) and the fire box area, where the coal is actually fired up.

Your GF looks amazing!

Regards,

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » November 5th, 2020, 8:51 pm

tinspark wrote:I was away for a week or so and didn't see it.
If it falls off of the main page feed, things can be easily missed
I love it. I like metallic in the orange, Way cool!!

On another note after some buddies saw mine, they have been hitting me up for a smaller version GF than mine.
Not even sure what to charge for one of these things.. I saw Stumps website and some of those things are pricey, but a buddy would likely want a break in price no doubt. I have managed to chase a few others off by telling them what these things retail for. No-one in these parts have ever seen a GF, only seen online.
I have a small shop at my house behind my garage, with a 2' x 2' CNC table, and can index parts, so larger pieces are really no problem, they just take a lot longer to move the sheet to the correct position. I saved all of my DXF files for my GF and could actually grab my files and shrink them (or grow them) with it's DesignEdge CNC/ CADD software, so that I wouldn't have to draw/ redesign most of it. Probably could modify drawings and cut one out in a day. My Hypertherm cuts up to 1/2" like butter, but would only use up to 1/4" plate at the transfer tube (heat sink) and the fire box area, where the coal is actually fired up.

Your GF looks amazing!
Yeah, people think that these should cost near what a big box store smoker is. I did not save money over a Stumps because I paid for fab work. Plus my fabricator paid for the cuts so material was a little more. He does not have a table like you to make the cuts though. Made me want to buy a welder and learn.

Would not mind seeing a few more exposed charcoal chute/ firebox GFs out there. Do not under charge your time, you do nice work. Figure how long it will take you, should be less now that you made one, and charge what your time is worth there. Check out the assassins smokers too for pricing. Even if it close to those prices remember they save on shipping, and will have a unique smoker which is worth something also.

Only one person here seemed interested, he did not know what a GF was until I told him. He was here when mine was delivered. He wants to start a business, so I told him one of these would be ideal with a controller.

Let me know if you have serious interested parties and build one for them.

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » December 14th, 2020, 9:24 am

Did a dry rub on the ribs this time. Came out great. Put them on late so I only had a piece when I was cutting them in putting in the fridge.

I did not take pics of the pork loin we had for dinner.

Cole Leffert
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Title: Country boy!

Post by Cole Leffert » December 14th, 2020, 9:59 am

I think you need some one to sample those to make sure they are ok to eat!! I am willing to do it for you!!!! :needfood:

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » December 14th, 2020, 10:04 am

Cole Leffert wrote:I think you need some one to sample those to make sure they are ok to eat!! I am willing to do it for you!!!! :needfood:
Are you coming over? You should be here before lunch so that you can make sure I can have it for lunch.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 14th, 2020, 10:59 am

Jealous.....I love ribs.