Time for paint! Problems?

Also called Stump's Clone.
raptorchris
beginner
beginner

Time for paint! Problems?

Post by raptorchris » April 19th, 2021, 3:56 pm

After a long break, my double pan gravity feed smoker is finished! Now it's time for paint. I originally wanted powdercoat, but finding someone that can handle something this big and heavy, and do the job for a reasonable price has been possible. Looking like paint is my only option. I was going to go with a roll on high temp paint, as I've seen it can go on quite nicely with a foam roller. Problem is the paint directions say it needs a 200°f+ cure. Being an insulated smoker, it won't get that hot, and I have no way to bake it. What other options have you guys had good luck with? I don't really ha e a place to spray it with a rattle can. Don't have a place to built even a temporary booth. Any help from those that have done it? What has worked well and what didn't? I looked in the paint section, and everything seems offset based. The GF's are their own animal, with their own needs, so I'm asking here.
Thanks!
Attachments
Resized_20210312_060844.jpeg

jeeperjkjeeper
beginner
beginner

Re: Time for paint! Problems?

Post by jeeperjkjeeper » April 19th, 2021, 4:48 pm

raptorchris wrote:After a long break, my double pan gravity feed smoker is finished! Now it's time for paint. I originally wanted powdercoat, but finding someone that can handle something this big and heavy, and do the job for a reasonable price has been possible. Looking like paint is my only option. I was going to go with a roll on high temp paint, as I've seen it can go on quite nicely with a foam roller. Problem is the paint directions say it needs a 200°f+ cure. Being an insulated smoker, it won't get that hot, and I have no way to bake it. What other options have you guys had good luck with? I don't really ha e a place to spray it with a rattle can. Don't have a place to built even a temporary booth. Any help from those that have done it? What has worked well and what didn't? I looked in the paint section, and everything seems offset based. The GF's are their own animal, with their own needs, so I'm asking here.
Thanks!
I it wasn't insulated I would have said BLO finish....would look sweet on that smoker imo [emoji869]

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » April 19th, 2021, 6:11 pm

Nice looking build!! From my understanding, you aren't limited to using high temp paint on these style insulated cookers. I believe that the area right around the fire box door is the only place that gets really hot. I'm sure some of the guys that have built them will come along and give you some better information.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 20th, 2021, 8:25 am

A lot of guys here have indeed used regular paint. I know rustoleum has a bbq paint that is a higher temp rating than standard but does not need to be heat cured.

Stoutpigbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by Stoutpigbbq » April 20th, 2021, 2:08 pm

You might look into Cerakote. Unlike powder coat, some of the high temp paint doesn't need a cure. I am going to try and spray Cerakote on my GF with a horrible freight spray gun. Something to consider.