Almost Complete!

Also called Stump's Clone.
Stoutpigbbq
beginner
beginner

Almost Complete!

Post by Stoutpigbbq » June 23rd, 2021, 7:29 am

Is anyone running a 1 1/2" ball valve on their air inlet for a Mini +6 GF? I cannot find a 2" and am running out of time for a big Friday cook I have planned. Need some help please?! I am hoping that you can get enough air through a 1 1/2" without using a fan/controller. thanks
Attachments
Smoker.jpg

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Almost Complete!

Post by Dirtytires » June 23rd, 2021, 12:29 pm

Grainier.com or McMaster-Carr will have the 2 inch. The latter has insane shipping speed and delivers next day, in many cases.

Stoutpigbbq
beginner
beginner

Post by Stoutpigbbq » June 24th, 2021, 8:46 am

thanks for the info., Dirtytires I think you always answer my questions... :beer:

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 24th, 2021, 10:32 am

Anytime....good luck with the cook.

Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Texasbowhunter » July 14th, 2021, 2:58 pm

An FYI here:
I have a 2" ball valve on my Gravity feed and have always noticed that the valve is shut and ONLY open about a 3rd of the way...Why in the world should I have a 2" if I'm only running 1/3 open???? My thoughts were
If all you can find is a 1.5 or a 1.25 go with it...My Thought here is I personally have no desire for this smoker to reach the extreme high temps it would be capable with a 2" again and when I build another it will have perhaps a 1" - 1.25" only...I believe this would prove plenty...plus if you decide to put a blower on it plan for it or are planning on running a blower full time a 3/4" pipe would be all you need...
Just this guys views
paul

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » July 14th, 2021, 9:38 pm

I have two combustion air inlets as well.. I made a square 2"x2" blast gate for my home grown gravity feed unit when I built the thing, which worked great for a few cooks before I started using a flameboss controller, which I purchased while I built my GF.
I keep the blast gate closed all of the time and am spoiled with the wifi fan controller with the smartphone app. I figured if the fan or controller took a dump in the middle of a cook, I would have redundancy and may be able to save the cook by opening up the slide gate a bit and plugging the 3/4" ips fan inlet. The hottest I ever attempted to get my GF was 350 deg. F, but that was just to cure it before teh first cook.

I have been gettin' and itch to build a "super mini", which would only have two shelves, just enough for a few briskets, or a few racks of ribs. A buddy will fund it if I build two, he gets one and I get the other one, but the Mrs. has been putting the kibosh on any more smokers for a minute.. I have a lot of irons on the fire right now......So she thinks!!! Maybe sneak em in under teh radar...lol!!
Your build looks good.. Nice work!!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Dargo
Big Time SmokerBuilder
Big Time SmokerBuilder

Post by Dargo » July 18th, 2021, 10:39 am

tinspark wrote:I have two combustion air inlets as well.. I made a square 2"x2" blast gate for my home grown gravity feed unit when I built the thing, which worked great for a few cooks before I started using a flameboss controller, which I purchased while I built my GF.
I keep the blast gate closed all of the time and am spoiled with the wifi fan controller with the smartphone app. I figured if the fan or controller took a dump in the middle of a cook, I would have redundancy and may be able to save the cook by opening up the slide gate a bit and plugging the 3/4" ips fan inlet. The hottest I ever attempted to get my GF was 350 deg. F, but that was just to cure it before teh first cook.

I have been gettin' and itch to build a "super mini", which would only have two shelves, just enough for a few briskets, or a few racks of ribs. A buddy will fund it if I build two, he gets one and I get the other one, but the Mrs. has been putting the kibosh on any more smokers for a minute.. I have a lot of irons on the fire right now......So she thinks!!! Maybe sneak em in under teh radar...lol!!
Your build looks good.. Nice work!!

Sound like a good deal for both of you. Don’t tell your Mrs. I said that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk