Trapping the Fat

Also called Stump's Clone.
Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Trapping the Fat

Post by Texasbowhunter » August 29th, 2021, 5:22 pm

Probably have another DUMB question but I was curious and had to ask...
I have heard and watch videos where the guys was about to wrap his brisket and used some fat drippings perhaps from an earlier smoke and applied to his peach paper...It sounds like what he was accomplishing was to add some additional moisture in the meat...
I was considering doing this and was curious as to what if scenario:
After getting some advice on cooking my next Brisket with fat side down rather then fat side up
If I was to put a pan under the brisket to catch the dripping rendered away could I not use that to apply with a brush onto the peach paper?
Is the addition step of applying the fat to the paper with a Vertical Gravity Feed worth it?

Another thought which just came to mind would it be a disadvantage to when the smoke was completed and the final opening of the paper to check the internal temps were accomplished...What's your thoughts on putting some more of those rendering that was captured applied to the brisket before the final wrap and put into a rest stage? Would this help with keeping more moisture in the meat?
I'm all about the learning process here....
Paul

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Re: Trapping the Fat

Post by tinspark » August 29th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Harry Soo has done 11 videos, experimenting with this. HE basically saves the trim from the brisket and throws that in a pan during the cook and mops his paper with it. What I like about his videos is he tries a few ways, and follows a method to improve his cooks, cooking several briskets and then judges them.
Here is the first video in the series of 11 on this subject..
https://youtu.be/XkacTTFcdJ4

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

dacolson

Trapping the Fat

Post by dacolson » August 29th, 2021, 7:15 pm

Not a fan myself. A good brisket has plenty of fat already. If you cook it right and allow it to rest, there’s plenty of fat. All that extra tallow just makes it wetter. I do render all my trimming down for tallow, however. Tons of other uses… basically anything you’d use oil or butter to cook with.

I cook fat side up on a standard offset. I know the GF guys do it fat down to protect the bottom. Don’t see a benefit on an offset. Added benefit is rendered fat cooks down into your meat.

… and now I see you posted this in the GF section … lol. Fat side down it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 29th, 2021, 9:13 pm

:yth:

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 30th, 2021, 9:12 am

Adding more fat is not going to add any more moisture than is already there. I actually trim 95% of the fat from my briskets in order to get a better penetration of the rubs into the meat. Achieving a good bark and then wrapping the brisket when it hits the stall is the preferred method and really all that is needed. If you are drying out your brisket during the cook, I would first look at your temp profile and grate placement and adjust as needed. Keep a super steady 225 degree pit and avoid temp spikes is your first goal and avoid 'hot spots' on the grate like that found close to the firebox.

Texasbowhunter
Wants More tools
Wants More tools

Post by Texasbowhunter » August 30th, 2021, 5:55 pm

Its not that if I dry out the brisket
Its more that I don't want to dry out the brisket
In my family when I fire up the smoker we try and do a good assortment of meats, usually smoking the brisket or two with a half dozen racks of ribs...
When we finally get around to cutting up the brisket it is moist and very taste...
However all the brisket is not gone
So we choose to freeze it after I slice it and put a meal for 1 in each vacuum freezer bag for the next time (makes life easier...)
same with the ribs
Now if I don't save the drippings from the foil bag in which the brisket smoked in to add to the individual serving, 2 tbs or so added
the brisket when heated next time will be on the dry side...
Just thinking that the peach brown bag wont store much juice for this process and when this happens with the method I use it may not be as moist as it was when It was freshly off the smoker...

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » August 31st, 2021, 10:56 am

First off, smoked meat does not always heat up too well and we all struggle with it. I have found vacuum sealing is a big help and especially if you heat it up by dropping the bad in hot water without opening it. Another trick is to NOT slice the brisket before freezing. The more surface area it has the more moisture can escape.

I used to cook a bunch of meats at the same time as well but found that, tho easier, it always tasted better fresh off the pit. Now I just cook a package worth and plan on smoking more often.

Return to “Gravity Feed Smokers (GF)”