Pizza oven cooking

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Pizza oven cooking

Post by towtruck » October 30th, 2021, 4:25 pm

I froze some of that pulled pork and today I chopped a bunch up and added sauce to it. I then folded it into hamburger at a rate of 2/3rd hamburger and 1/3 pulled pork. I am making a bacon patty to go on top of the burger patty by boiling bacon first then clumping it together to form a patty and frying that on the bbq in a pan. I will bbq the burgers and add some of the leftover rib sauce I have. These burgers should taste fantastic.......but I just found out we have no buns!!!!!!! I might have to make them on plain white bread as neither the wife or I want to go to town......Going to cook some tots for a side to go along with the pulled pork burgers....I'll try and get a picture if I remember to.....

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » October 31st, 2021, 11:48 am

Where do you come up with these crazy ideas.....lol.

For the record, I hate it when I'm out of buns and fail to realize it until dinner is ready.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 31st, 2021, 5:29 pm

Trying to use up leftovers and trying to mix things up.....here are the burgers cooking and the bacon in the pan. And the finished product.....these were soooo good!

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » November 1st, 2021, 12:51 pm

MAn that looks good. Its between breakfast and lunch now here, and I gotta go get a snack!!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » November 9th, 2021, 2:48 pm

Sunday I did a garlic/ Jalapeño tri tip in the wood fired oven. Heated oven to 500 or so with a bed of coals, placed roast on a Tuscan grill over coals to sear both sides. I then pushed the coals to the back of the oven and spread them out. I slide the roast over to the far side of the oven and set the door on until it reached 135*.....eazy peazy

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » December 25th, 2021, 3:13 pm

Got a 6 pound prime rib in the wood fired oven as I type this. I lit the fire at 8 am and warmed the oven up slowly as it has been rained on for a month. The insides were dry so no fear in breaking bricks from steam. Put the roast in just after noon for 30 minutes to sear it. Once that is done I will double wrap it in foil and probe it. Then I'll knock the coals down and set the door on the oven until it hits 130*. I'll get pics up when I can.

Edit
It's done and in my belly! I had the oven a little too hot so I cut my sear time down by ten minutes. I pulled it at 130* and we had to let it sit for an hour before the rest of the meal was ready. That hour took it from medium rare to medium but it was absolutely butter tender and delicious. Even the end cuts were tender as butter.

I had previously frozen this roast and pulled it out of the freezer and refrigerated it for 5 days. The internal temp was 47* when I placed it in the oven. Oven temps were just over 600* when they should have been 500*. Once seared I double wrapped in foil, knocked the coals around and placed the door on the pizza oven. I walked away until it hit 130*.

Pics coming soon....

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » December 25th, 2021, 6:50 pm

Here is the 5.9# roast right out of the fridge...

The fire....

All done and one hour after pulling it at 130*

First slice....medium not medium rare but oh so tender...

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » December 26th, 2021, 5:44 pm

That turned out looking great!!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Olibinoui
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Olibinoui » January 26th, 2022, 9:08 pm

:LG: Wow nice pizza oven

:welder: Let’s smoke. :welder:
Hobart Handler 200
Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » January 29th, 2022, 6:02 pm

Olibinoui wrote:
January 26th, 2022, 9:08 pm
:LG: Wow nice pizza oven
Thanks.

I'm going to cook the other 5+ pound prime rib tomorrow......I'll try and remember a few pictures for everyone to drool over.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » January 30th, 2022, 7:06 pm

Today I experimented a bit with my roast. The last two I cooked in the wood oven I seared them then wrapped them and they came out great with a medium rare finish all the way across the meat when sliced. That is perfect in my book. The only thing I wanted to add was a bit more smoke flavor without overcooking the roast. This roast I controlled my oven temps really well and only let it get to 500 degrees. I seared the roast for 5 min. per pound and instead of wrapping it I knocked the coals around and left the roast uncovered in the oven with the door on. Lots of smokey goodness was seeping out the door edges and cook times were right on the money to hit 130*.

The flavor of this roast is spectacular with just enough smoke flavor to enhance the rub. The only thing I lost was that pink all the way to the bark, at least on the outer end cut. The meat is still butter tender and oh so good.

I think on the next one I will pull it at 125* and let it rest a tad longer and see if that keeps the pink all the way through and gets the smoke flavor I want. I feel like I am perfecting perfection at this point......not a bad place to be!

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 31st, 2022, 10:45 pm

It looks good to me!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Post by SheffSmoker » February 1st, 2022, 7:04 am

That looks really good. Want some now :)

You can never have too many hammers.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 22nd, 2022, 10:31 pm

Last Monday I had the pizza oven and my smoker going. I smoked some baby backs and used the pizza oven to make a fancy potato dish. I have a few more recipes to try out with potatoes and at some point I will actually make a pizza again =))

Loving my pizza oven!!!!! I even had help cooking in it from a gal friend that was over for my birthday.