Pizza oven cooking

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Pizza oven cooking

Post by towtruck » June 27th, 2021, 12:31 pm

Today is going to get to 112* outside. Yesterday I walked by my smoker and the temp dials were at 150* with no fire in the smoker....just the temp in the sun. This morning I got up early and fired up the pizza oven. I first boiled small potatoes in a pan then drained them and smashed them. Olive oil in the pan to fry the potatoes until crispy then added sea salt and parsley to garnish them. The wife had some Korean short ribs and I cooked those in the pan in three batches, the first batch is in the photo. Then when the oven was hot enough I put together a pizza using store bought dough. I am learning to hate store bought dough and will only be using hand made in the future.

The potatoes came out great as did the short ribs. The pizza is another story as the dough came apart when cooking. It made a royal mess but I got it cooked. Oven temps were good and cook times were right on the money. The pizza ended up coming out in pieces.

I need to do a little work on the two Tuscan grills I made to sturdy up the legs a bit and I need to get my pizza dough dialed in but the oven is working very well and the food is coming out great!

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Re: Pizza oven cooking

Post by tinspark » June 27th, 2021, 6:27 pm

Sheesh!! Thanks a lot DT... Now I gotta go get a snack... That stuff looks good!!
Love that thing!

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » June 27th, 2021, 6:55 pm

I am enjoying cooking in this oven. I will eventually get the hang of pizza but truth be told I really wanted to cook all the other great stuff more. After 7 hours since I set the door in place the oven temp is still 350* at the door gauge. The wife is thinking about doing some bread in there and I am picking up a prime rib roast tomorrow to cook in the oven.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 27th, 2021, 7:19 pm

That thing is so cool. Can’t believe how long it holds. Do you cook everything outside now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » June 27th, 2021, 7:33 pm

dacolson wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 7:19 pm
That thing is so cool. Can’t believe how long it holds. Do you cook everything outside now?

Have not cooked everything outside yet. The wife does not want to heat the house up cooking inside so planned this cook when it was tolerable outside. I need to show the wife how to get the oven going and I'm sure she will be using it on her own. We just got all the tools in to run it. I have a wooden peel to make the pizza's on, a brush to clean the floor, the infarared temp gauge, and one other item. I need to weld the legs on the Tuscan grills to finish them off now that I know they are the right height.

I need to load the bottom up with firewood, cut some card board, and get some small kindling in the bucket so everything is ready to go for her. Being wood fired we are careful not to run it in the afternoon right now.....there is no way a spark ever leaves the oven but the smell of smoke alone might trigger a response from a neighbor with our summer heat in full swing. By this fall she should be using it on her own.

The wife ordered a brass brush on a 40" handle and the box arrived while I was out of town. When I got home the box was on the porch. It was really heavy. Turns out there were 8 brushes in the box. Someone in shipping forgot to open the box and take one brush out to send to me and sent the whole batch. I am calling the company in the morning to see what they want to do about getting their product back....it's over $250 worth of stuff.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » June 27th, 2021, 8:35 pm

That’s cool she’s into the process with you. Great to have a partner in crime

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » June 28th, 2021, 1:31 pm

towtruck wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 7:33 pm
Being wood fired we are careful not to run it in the afternoon right now.....there is no way a spark ever leaves the oven but the smell of smoke alone might trigger a response from a neighbor with our summer heat in full swing. By this fall she should be using it on her own.
Understand the fire paranoia since I am here on the west coast too. Much of our forest (Sierras) is gone from the fires. Millions of acres are dead from bark Beatle/ drought. One lightening strike and it goes up. When we backpack this time of year and it is 105 degrees in the valley, you can count on thunderstorms in the sierra.... It's the "perfect storm" for forest fires!! they say that they are expecting this to be the worst fire season yet..
I think I remember you mentioning that you live in Northern CA, if so you know you have lived it too, or maybe it was another another member...

Regards,

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » June 28th, 2021, 1:33 pm

tinspark wrote:
June 28th, 2021, 1:31 pm
towtruck wrote:
June 27th, 2021, 7:33 pm
Being wood fired we are careful not to run it in the afternoon right now.....there is no way a spark ever leaves the oven but the smell of smoke alone might trigger a response from a neighbor with our summer heat in full swing. By this fall she should be using it on her own.
Understand the fire paranoia since I am here on the west coast too. Much of our forest (Sierras) is gone from the fires. Millions of acres are dead from bark Beatle/ drought. One lightening strike and it goes up. When we backpack this time of year and it is 105 degrees in the valley, you can count on thunderstorms in the sierra.... It's the "perfect storm" for forest fires!! they say that they are expecting this to be the worst fire season yet..
I think I remember you mentioning that you live in Northern CA, if so you know you have lived it too, or maybe it was another another member. or was it Phoenix area...

Regards,

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » June 29th, 2021, 1:01 am

I'm in the far northern part of the state.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » June 30th, 2021, 9:55 am

Your pizza falling apart is most likely a crust issue. Mine will not release from the peel if my dough moisture is too high so I actually weigh the water and flour to make it repeatable. It also gets a little sticky if I let it get too warm before forming the shell (mine gets cold fermented for three days in the fridge then a final raise for 2 hours at room temp to make it workable.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 1st, 2021, 11:10 am

Dirtytires wrote:
June 30th, 2021, 9:55 am
Your pizza falling apart is most likely a crust issue. Mine will not release from the peel if my dough moisture is too high so I actually weigh the water and flour to make it repeatable. It also gets a little sticky if I let it get too warm before forming the shell (mine gets cold fermented for three days in the fridge then a final raise for 2 hours at room temp to make it workable.
100% a dough issue. I screwed it up by pulling it too thin in the center. When I tried to put it back together it never bonded. I should have just left it in the shape it came in and rolled it out. The home made dough I made before came out great so I just need to keep making my own and skip the store bought stuff that is made for indoor ovens and lower temps. I also need to stick with smaller pizza's for now until I get the hang of the bigger one's. I tried to make the dough stretch to a larger size and it was not made for that. I also do not like the taste of the store bought dough. I'll get the hang of it.......this Sunday will be prime rib in the wood fired oven. Should be a good one.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 3rd, 2021, 12:30 pm

Home made dough will stretch so thin you can see thru it, or at least mine does. I have to be careful to stop stretching when it gets to desired size. Sounds like you are on the right track but I'll mention that 14-16" is an great size but a 9-10" is considerably easier to work with. I have a wood peel for putting the shell on the steel and a flat, thin aluminum one for removing it. Seems silly to use both but the raw shell won't slide off the aluminum peel but the wood one is just a bit to thick to slide under and adjust the partial cooked/cooked pizzas.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 4th, 2021, 8:40 am

Dirtytires wrote:
July 3rd, 2021, 12:30 pm
Home made dough will stretch so thin you can see thru it, or at least mine does. I have to be careful to stop stretching when it gets to desired size. Sounds like you are on the right track but I'll mention that 14-16" is an great size but a 9-10" is considerably easier to work with. I have a wood peel for putting the shell on the steel and a flat, thin aluminum one for removing it. Seems silly to use both but the raw shell won't slide off the aluminum peel but the wood one is just a bit to thick to slide under and adjust the partial cooked/cooked pizzas.
I have the wood paddle for sliding then in and I made an 8" peel for turning them in the oven. I had better luck with 9-10" pie than the larger one's......I need to practice more before I go bigger for sure.

Today I'm going to cook a prime rib in there if I can muster the strength to do it. I spent 8 hours in the ER yesterday for heat stroke and may not make it outside today.

dacolson

Post by dacolson » July 4th, 2021, 9:36 am

Stay cool Towtruck! That’s serious business.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 4th, 2021, 10:21 am

Sounds like you are on it!

My friend, take a few days off. Your body takes time to heal.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 4th, 2021, 3:50 pm

I managed to cook the prime rib in the wood fired oven. I built a small fire and let the oven heat up slowly to 600*. I let temps stabilize to 550* and set the roast on a small broiler pan. I placed the roast in the oven while it had a flaming fire and let each side of the 5# roast sear for 13 minutes. I then pulled the roast out and covered it in two layers of foil and inserted the temp probe. I knocked the coals around to put out the flame and put the roast in the oven on the furthest side from the coals. I placed the door on and left a 2" gap on one side of the door for 45 minutes before closing the door all the way. Two and a half hours later the internal temp hit 125 and I pulled the roast and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes before slicing and trying it. It came out beautiful. Perfect pink color all the way to the edges under that crust from the searing.

Sorry, no pictures as my mental state is still lacking a little from yesterday. Prime rib in the pizza oven is a snap and oh, so good!!!!!!

Also, the roast was colder than I had hoped for coming out of the fridge. The outside was 35* and the inside around 33*. I let it sit on the counter while the fire warmed up but the roast was no where near room temps when it when into the oven and was still in the 30's. It did cook very even all the way through. So the method of not letting it come to room temp works the way I did it.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » July 4th, 2021, 4:17 pm

sounds great!!
I guess its true when they say you Gotta get your feet wet by jumping into trying new methods.
We sometimes reverse sear at high heat in a searing pan on our roasts to lock the juices in. Then throw it on the Bbq.
Sounds like what you did sorta gives the same end results
Sounds like another successful cook in an awesome oven! Nice work!
You make us all jealous with that beautiful oven that you built..

Regards,

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 18th, 2021, 12:15 am

Did up some burgers in the oven on one of my Tuscan grills today. Wrapped up some corn on the cob in foil and set those in the oven while I did a tray of frozen French fries on the other side. I am loving this oven. I'm finding every excuse to use it and have not fired up the smoker or bbq since the oven got done
:o

dacolson

Post by dacolson » July 18th, 2021, 11:11 am

That’s awesome Towtruck. Wish I had the skills and room for a project like this.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 2nd, 2021, 10:11 am

This morning I am cooking up a bunch of food in the pizza oven to eat this week. It's been really hot and dry so I am getting it done in the cool morning air. I am cooking chicken thighs on a Tuscan grill, a tri-tip, baked taters, and some corn on the cob swiped with mayo and sprinkled with parmesan cheese and paprika.

The oven warming up....
and the food all ready to go in...
Last edited by towtruck on August 2nd, 2021, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 2nd, 2021, 11:41 am

Chicken on the grill, corn and taters on the floor and the tri-tip is off to the left out of sight....
I got pics of everything but the taters....you know what a tater looks like :)

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 2nd, 2021, 12:09 pm

I'm always afraid of burning the corn and taters but I need to get more aggressive with them and get them closer to the fire next time. Everything came out great, tasty, and done just right. In the future I will bring coals over to the far right and grill over against the wall and let the taters and corn be close to the fire. I seared the tri- tip on a grill for a while then wrapped it up and that worked very well. The chicken and beef were done very close to one another for time and if I can dial in the sides I can serve a meal all at once better. This batch will get cooled off and placed in the fridge for the weeks meals.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » August 2nd, 2021, 5:39 pm

That tri-tip looks awesome!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

tinspark
Expert
Expert

Post by tinspark » August 2nd, 2021, 7:09 pm

Looks Awesome TT!!
U r making me HUUUUUUUUUUUUGRY!!
That is a cool pizza oven.. Love that thing!

Regards,

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » August 17th, 2021, 9:29 pm

Today I cooked a spatchcocked whole chicken in a dutch oven with veggies and white wine on the bottom. I boiled some small cut up potatoes in the oven then olive oiled them and seasoned them and allowed them to brown in the pan in the oven. Once the chicken cooked for 50 minutes I removed the lid and let the skin brown up some. I removed the chicken and added more white wine and simmered the juices down about half then strained out the veggies. I kept the carrots and tossed the garlic, tomatoes, and onions. The juices are the gravy for the potatoes. Everything turned out great. The recipe called for a high sided carbon steel pan and I used a cast iron pot so my cook times were longer. I need to pick up a carbon steel pan set for the oven as the pot was a little too heavy and too tall for this recipe but it worked out. I also grilled a couple burgers on the oven heat up just to get rid of some leftover meat.

Here is the chicken in it's pot before cooking..

Here are the Burgers before...

The potatoes in the water to boil first...

The potatoes roasting after boiling...the chicken is in the dutch oven...

And here is the gravy that was under the chicken. I strained out the veggies and reduced this down by half.

I forgot to get any more photos and should be ashamed of myself but I was so busy I just forgot.....
The dutch oven and 12.5" frying pan fit perfectly in the oven with one on the left and one on the right with the fire in the back corner.