Smoked Meatloaf

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Smoked Meatloaf

Post by Barrion2018 » May 22nd, 2022, 9:21 pm

I did not plan on it, but I made a meatloaf today.

Since my wife had to leave town to go help her mother with a few things, I had to fin for myself.

While looking through the refrigerator this afernoon, I saw some chicken thighs and a package of ground beef I took out of the freezer to thaw a few days ago, but forgot about it. After checking to see if it was still good (it was), I decided that I needed to cook it before it goes bad. So I fired up the smoker and went back inside to get the meat ready.

The chicken, I put some poultry rub on it that I got from the store. The ground beef, I wasn't to sure what to make with it. So I decide to try making a meatloaf.

For the meatloaf, I added a few eggs, crushed some Keebler Club Crackers, some onion, can of mushrooms, ortega green chilies, and some jalapeno along with a little seasoning. I mixed it all together and put it into a shallow baking dish.

Since it was 3:30 pm when I put everything in the smoker, I decided to cook at temps I would if I was cooking in the oven. I held my temp around 325F until everything was done. The chicken didn't take long, just over an hour.
Ate a piece of chick while waiting for the meatloaf, and I was surprised that it had more smoke flavor than I was expecting.

The meat loaf took about 2-1/2 hours. After letting the meatloaf set about an hour, I decided to try a piece. Since I really don't know how to make a meatloaf, I wasn't expecting it not to taste very good. I was wrong, it tasted great with a nice smoke flavor.

Anyway, I just wanted to brag a liitle bit on my new meatloaf recipe.

hogaboomer
Expert
Expert
Title: old pipe welder

Re: Smoked Meatloaf

Post by hogaboomer » May 22nd, 2022, 9:32 pm

Smoked meatloaf is awesome, I need to do another one! I can't do chicken in the offset, the skin comes out too rubbery.

I live on Hogaboom Road.

Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn

Post by Barrion2018 » May 22nd, 2022, 9:54 pm

hogaboomer wrote:
May 22nd, 2022, 9:32 pm
Smoked meatloaf is awesome, I need to do another one! I can't do chicken in the offset, the skin comes out too rubbery.
It always comes out rubbery for me too, I just peel off the skin and give it to the dogs.

In my meatloaf recipe, I forgot to mention that I used some ketchup and BBQ sauce, plus I added some shredded parmesan cheese. I didn't write anything down :headwall: , so when and if I decide to make it again, I'll have to pull up this post for the recipe.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » May 22nd, 2022, 10:21 pm

I smoked two meatloafs a little while ago...they don't last long around my house.