Larger vs smaller slabs of ribs

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Larger vs smaller slabs of ribs

Post by Mo Smoke » July 29th, 2022, 9:12 am

When I started cooking ribs I would always look for the biggest slabs I could find. Then one day a I grabbed a smaller pack because I could get 3 in a pack instead of 2 and I had more people to feed. I heard once that the smaller ribs are better anyway. Restaurant Depot sells 4.2 and down and 4.3 and up. Do you guys feel like there is a difference in the out come of the meat? Do you always go for one or the other? Or do you just buy based on budget and belly’s to feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoke em if ya got em.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: Larger vs smaller slabs of ribs

Post by Dirtytires » July 29th, 2022, 11:05 am

I purchase all my meat from Costco as they seem to have the best quality and Require the least amount of fat trimming and prep. They are massive St Louis style racks compared to most grocery stores as they done cut off the top layer of meat to sell separately. They weigh in at an average of 3.2 pounds for an 11 bone rack. I can feed 3+ from a rack as most people will only have 2-3 ribs.

Anyway, I won't waste my time with the smaller racks as they just take up too much rack space on the pit for the little meat you get out of it. So yes, I always get the biggest ribs I can find.

I think the thing to remember is to get whatever works for your situation but remember that they cook differently and may require a little different cooking time so sticking with the same general size allows you to build a lot of confidence in your cook.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 29th, 2022, 11:53 am

Dirtytires wrote:I purchase all my meat from Costco as they seem to have the best quality and Require the least amount of fat trimming and prep. They are massive St Louis style racks compared to most grocery stores as they done cut off the top layer of meat to sell separately. They weigh in at an average of 3.2 pounds for an 11 bone rack. I can feed 3+ from a rack as most people will only have 2-3 ribs.

Anyway, I won't waste my time with the smaller racks as they just take up too much rack space on the pit for the little meat you get out of it. So yes, I always get the biggest ribs I can find.

I think the thing to remember is to get whatever works for your situation but remember that they cook differently and may require a little different cooking time so sticking with the same general size allows you to build a lot of confidence in your cook.
Ok so you prefer to buy St. Louis cuts instead of trimming them down yourself. I find St. Louis cuts to be more expensive and you also miss out on that extra meat that can be used for rib tips so I always buy full slabs.

Smoke em if ya got em.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » July 30th, 2022, 9:45 am

My place doesn't carry full racks. They come with the membrane removed and require minimal/absolutely no trimming in most cases so my prep time is measured in seconds. Standing in the kitchen for hours trimming a case of ribs is not my idea of a fun afternoon, lol.

Mo Smoke
Expert
Expert

Post by Mo Smoke » July 30th, 2022, 9:49 am

Ok now that is an incentive! Because cleaning a case of ribs is not fun. How much is the cost per slab or per pound ?

Smoke em if ya got em.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » July 30th, 2022, 10:33 pm

If I'm cooking a couple of racks for my family I get the biggest full racks that I can find and trim them down to a "Kansas city" cut. That's where you remove the breast bone and the thin piece at the end of the rack, I pull the membrane and season. The only difference that I've noticed is that the bigger racks usually take a little more time to get tender than the smaller ones but only by a few minutes.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » July 31st, 2022, 2:56 pm

I'm a baby back smoker kinda guy. Pull the skin and cut the racks in half to make them easy to handle. Full racks with the skin off want to fall apart on me. The larger cuts of ribs have too much meat for my taste. If I want more meat I will smoke a butt.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » August 1st, 2022, 10:10 am

They sell for around $2.99 a pound.