Wet Curing My Own Ham For The First Time

We love to cook and we love to hear what others are cooking. With pics of course!
Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Wet Curing My Own Ham For The First Time

Post by Barrion2018 » November 13th, 2022, 5:50 pm

I have some wild hog meat that a friend gave me. I have already smoked some of it and like it very much.

Since I have a lot of wild hog meat to work with, I decided to try making my own wet cured ham. I'm starting with a simple cure recipe of salt, pink curing salt, and brown sugar. I also decide to add some spices for flavor.

This is the recipe I used for one gallon of brine (I made a total of three gallons of brine):

1 Gallon of water
1-1/2 Cups of Kosher salt
2 Cups of Firmly Packed Brown Sugar
6 Tsp of Pink Curing Salt
1/2 Cup of Spices

I had/have ~22 pounds of misc hog that I want to make a couple medium sized hams and a few small hams, along with some smaller chunks for ham hocks and beans.

I made the brine and added the meat to the brine yesterday. I plan on smoking everything next weekend. I'll post some pics later. I forgot to take some when I was making the brine and adding the hog to the brine.

Here's a picture of the hogs hanging.
Wild Hogs .PNG

Iwishicouldcook41
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ
has a junk pile that will one day smoke LOTS of BBQ

Re: Wet Curing My Own Ham For The First Time

Post by Iwishicouldcook41 » November 13th, 2022, 10:16 pm

Nice! Interested to see how this turns out. I’ve had wild hog once, and it wasn’t bad. They’re abundant on my hunt club, so I may have to copy you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “FOOD!”