Gonna build me a super cooker trailer

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » December 21st, 2014, 11:56 am

Big dreams, little knowledge, smaller wallet. I got some parts though, first is a odd propane tank with no label on it so I don't know the gal. it measures 36" across and 65" long. If anybody is familiar with this tank and what the volume is your knowledge would be appreciated, If not I have already calculated the volume as a cylinder and not a tank. I'm hoping that will be close enough. I'll be cutting one rounded end off anyway to attach the firebox/ warmer box. I am wide open for ideas and input on this as I know very little. This cooker trailer is going to have the smoker, a deep fryer, a gas grill, water tank with a sink, and some prep counters. my trailer frame at this point is going to be 4.5' between the tires and 10' to the tongue, another 3 or 4' for the tongue. I only have one axle on hand and i'm thinking it may not be enough. I want to put the smoker across the back but its going to be crazy heavy. like I said little knowledge. hoping for some help from you guys.
Attachments
IMG_0455.JPG
IMG_0479.JPG
IMG_0450.JPG
IMG_0451.JPG
IMG_0453.JPG
IMG_0471.JPG

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Re: Gonna build me a super cooker trailer

Post by lester » December 21st, 2014, 12:29 pm

I forgot to show you my numbers so you guys can tell me if its going to work or not, cook chamber size 36" x 60" volume 61,000"3, Firebox size 24" x 32" x 24" volume 18,432"3 rec. volume is 20,357 I'm at 90.5% went a little small trying to allow for the tapered end on the tank( i sized it as a cylinder not knowing the gal.) Chimney size is 5" for 47" Air intake is 4" round Intake area 55.3"3 It's calling for 4.4 holes. By the way those cardboard models are to scale.

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 21st, 2014, 1:11 pm

Overachiever right there. I don't think I've seen a to scale mockup.
Anyway that is gonna be sweet. I think 2 axels would be a lot better, if not required. I think I would turn the tank, and set it on one side, that leaves the other side of the trailer for fryer, grill, and sink. It will also let you get a better balance by adding loose items to the front or rear, wherever you need them.

I am not the trailer expert tho.

As for the calcs, don't undersize your measurements for the cook chamber, or your firebox won't generate enough heat. When you get your tank volume, try to get your FB to 105% or so. Too big is better than too small, when you are trying to get a controllable temp.

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » December 21st, 2014, 1:31 pm

:yth: Sounds like another sweet rig in the making.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder
Title: TortillaTom
BBQ Comp Team Name: SmokerBuilder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 21st, 2014, 2:28 pm

Love the mock up.

Click here : How to Upload Pics (Video) | Click here : Are you on FaceBook? |
--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans
--->Are you interested in building smokers for profit?
Click here : Shoot me a PM to learn about a new opportunity launching soon!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 21st, 2014, 4:56 pm

Try this calculator.

http://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculato ... n/tank.php

Looks to be ~230 gallons.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Clover Ridge Smokers
Expert
Expert
Title: Driven By Passion
BBQ Comp Team Name: Clover Ridge Smokers

Post by Clover Ridge Smokers » December 21st, 2014, 5:24 pm

I have to agree with S1. Based on the mock up, I would look at 2 axles. You really need to have the FB at 105%-110%. Under sizing will bite you in the end.

Driven by Passion, Limited by Imagination

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » December 21st, 2014, 6:29 pm

It looks to me like either way if you put the whole smoker behind the back axle you will not be able to get enough weight on the front of the trailer to balance it out.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Puff
Expert
Expert
Title: Always All In !

Post by Puff » December 21st, 2014, 11:23 pm

I looked at the first picture on a 9" screen and wondered what it could be....then I realized....that model is great. Like an architect who does a house or building.

I have seen two separate cook trailers equipped with water, grills, and a few other things and I would think getting the balance between sides is tricky, then front to back for proper tongue load. I'd bet your tank has 65-70% of your overall weight. Are you adding a water tank and electric pump or do you have other ideas.

I have also read in the forum here that some states have more detailed specifics for licensing such trailers so maybe those are considerations for you also. Gotta think that you're looking for dual axle .. My 4x8 275 gal smoker/ trailer weighs in about 1125 lbs. the 3500 lb axle looks like it can handle double that when its riding down the road. Not sure it would have been smart to go to a lighter load axle. The guys here all responded with 3500. I also had some very expert help from a member (thanks TQ)

Make no mistake, there ain't no powder in this Puff ! And... I'm not really a crazy person but I play one in real life

Pennywise
Expert
Expert
Title: Bearded Wonder
BBQ Comp Team Name: WMD BBQ

Post by Pennywise » December 22nd, 2014, 8:03 am

Wow ambitious is an understatement! I can't wait to see your build when its done.

I would call your local propane company and give them the length and diameter. They will be able to tell you how many gallons your tank is.

Good luck, and awesome model.

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » December 22nd, 2014, 11:58 am

Thanks for the input guys,I'm worried if I put the cooker to the side it will be way off balance from side to side and if I move it more toward the middle I'm not going to reach inside over the tire. No tongue weight would not be good. I'm wondering if I should narrow up the trailer where the cooker sits. I would have to narrow up the axles? That may look a bit odd. I would really like it off the back, it would make it really accessible. I did contact my local propane dealer but the guy on the phone was confused about my size, says they don't carry anything like that and wouldn't know what to tell me. I guess the newer ones are longer and skinnier.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » December 22nd, 2014, 12:45 pm

I did a quick online conversion based on your measurements, and it says your tank is 286.41458 gallons.

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » December 22nd, 2014, 1:10 pm

Thanks Pennywise, I just used the tank calc. link that Pete sent me and its telling me that its a 242.21. They don't make a 242 gal tank but they do make a 230. Pete says it looks like a 230. It would make sense that a tank measured from the outside diameter would hold less, I'm gonna double check though cause i don't want to screw this up, I'm thinking about taking a milk jug out there and just seeing how many gal it will hold! Na its to cold, bout 22* BURR! Thanks for the input,

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » December 22nd, 2014, 1:51 pm

LMAO, I did that (sorta) with mine. I realized all my equations were based off a 500 gal tank, but I had cut off one whole bowl end...so I wanted to see how many gallons that was. I ended up with a garden hose and a 5 gal. bucket dumping into the soon to be burn pit bowl...50 gallons later I modified my equations based off of a 450 gal build.

Fishless Mickey
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Fishless Mickey » December 23rd, 2014, 12:06 pm

My build is a 30" diameter short (squat) tank similar to yours. I made the trailer width 4' and squared the front. I can easily reach over my tires and slide out the cooking grates. My tank is parallel to the frame (perpendicular across the axle). Search TQ & Tyler's trailer builds here and you can get some really good info.

Don't hate me because I'm pretty

bstory
Expert
Expert

Post by bstory » December 23rd, 2014, 8:27 pm

That sound like it is similar size as mine. I think you sould turn the smoker like others have said and center it in the trailer. Then in front of the smoker put the sink on one side of the trailer and the grill and fryer on the other side of the sink with a mount to out the propane bottle on the tongue.

My trailer is 10'x4' with a3' tongue. The smoker is 77" from end to end and 30" diameter.

I have a 3500# axle and I am pushing the limit of it I think. I had the axle farther back and it had too much tongue weight, moved it forward, but too much. I am going to move it back splitting the difference to see if it will pull better. If I where you I would really consider putting a second axle under that thing. Also I love the square doors. It was a pain with the regular door either the cooker being in the center so I cut it off and made some square doors.
Attachments
image.jpg

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » December 23rd, 2014, 10:28 pm

I would set it a comfortable distance toward 1 side. Side to side isnt that big of a deal unless its 10 feet tall. If it leans then add a leaf to the heavy side, but if your 5 feet wide there still isnt that much difference. To me the tongue weight is the key. I always lean heavy on the tongue, been in a couple bad situations and didnt like it. I run 1100 lbs tongue on a 9800 lb trailer. A couple years back coming home from a comp I tried to out pull a new dodge......spedo waa showing 93 mph. Sucker just laid in behind me and never showed any sign of wag.

Its easy to add extras up front and a storage box or a griddle on the back side of the cooker. And unless you are running a center feed then tire heat would be an issue if the cooker is sideways. Been there done that.

Again my opinion.......on a single axle with a rf cooker I would set the axle just foward of the fb.

If you have a 3500 lb single axle thats in good shape and thats all you have.....you could make it work. Run 10 ply trailer tires or even a 14 ply. We use a wood chipper at work that is 5000 plus on a aingle with 14 ply and pulls great. Almost 800 lb tongue weight tho.

If you can swing an extra axle thata alwaya better.

--->Click here : Need plans for your build? OR Message me at ---->>> https://m.me/SmokerPlans

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » December 24th, 2014, 9:21 am

Thanks guys I appreciate all this advice,its good stuff. Glad to know i can set the cooker to one side that makes my decision easy enough I'm gonna take all this good advise and get started right after the new year just put my order in for 2 4x8 sheets of 1/4" plate, didn't realize it was gonna be $400. but i'll have something to work with when i get back to it after the holidays. Thanks guys and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

Smokeone
Founder
Founder
Title: Builder Wannabee
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team Smokerbuilder

KCBS Certified BBQ Judge

Post by Smokeone » December 24th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Glad we could help! We love spending your money.
Merry Christmas :beer:

BBQ is just smoke and beers!
Usually more beers than smoke.

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » January 4th, 2015, 12:41 pm

Made it back home from vacation, decided to cut a door hole in that propane tank for my cooker. I now have a new respect for any person that has ever cut one. Wow. Are they all this thick? Mine is 3/8" thick. I also learned that I don't know how to operate a plasma cutter but I'm learning at the expense of a couple new tips and a lot of grinding. I might go broke buying grinding wheels. Anyway I did get confirmation that my tank is 230 gal. apparently the shape of my tank is not available anymore. This is going to be a major challenge.
Attachments
IMG_0496.JPG
IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0508.JPG

Tom_Heath
Founder
Founder

Post by Tom_Heath » January 4th, 2015, 1:20 pm

Looking good. Did you experience much warp on the door piece..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rodcrafter

Post by Rodcrafter » January 4th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Since you put the fittings on the top. Did you consider making squared doors? If you cut the top of the opening another 8" or so you would be rid of the fittings and ready to begin making square door frames.
jm2cw

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » January 5th, 2015, 12:01 pm

Tank did move some as i cut out the door piece but not to much, i think it will still make a door. My tank is so big around I don't think i need to square frame the doors. Is there some other benefit to building the square frame? I would have to order another sheet of 1/4 plate to build it, that's 2 hundred bucks, I don't need the room but I would like it to be right. Wouldn't I have to resize my firebox if I do that? Anyway I just left my local scrap yard, picked up some super heavy duty stainless steel racks out of a couple big hobart ovens,15 cents a #. Thought about taking the hole oven, it looks like it would make an awesome smoker, like a southern pride or something. oh well 1 project at a time.They had several propane tanks as well if anybody is interested.

Pennywise
Expert
Expert

Post by Pennywise » January 6th, 2015, 9:38 am

I decided to do square for a couple reasons on my 500 gal build.

1) the counter weights for the door would be massive and unattractive IMO.
2) the door cut out warps no matter what it seems so I would fight with getting it to seal properly
3) I had 3 valves on top not quite center but to the back. in order to get my drain where I wanted it, I had to cut them out.

It allowed me some flexibility on the design as well as gives me the option for opening one side or another (depending where I put my flange) and using half my smoker basically on smaller cooks. It also saves my back a ton of ache opening it, as the doors swing out instead of up. Lastly I can seal it much easier this way...and it looks freakin awesome.

Here's my square door frame.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3848&start=50

lester
Wants to build a smoker
Wants to build a smoker

Post by lester » January 7th, 2015, 10:07 am

Thanks Pennywise, I'm gonna square it up and I got me some awesome doors and oven racks from the scrap yard i'm gonna use. This was a major score for me, It's almost exactly the same width as my opening. Gonna cut some more of the top out to clean up those holes and start building this thing to fit these doors and racks. This is nothing like my original plan but that's typically how my projects go.I guess most of you guys build these smokers by a set of plans, not around something you find at the scrap yard I think I'm A.D.D.,can't seem to focus from all the crazy ideas running through my head. I'm still considering going back to the scrap yard and grabbing a whole oven to convert to a smoker. Has anybody tried this or is it wasted effort.
Attachments
IMG_0514.JPG
IMG_0509.JPG