Hi all from the UK

Tell us a little about yourself!
trevini
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Hi all from the UK

Post by trevini » February 5th, 2022, 11:30 am

I've been a member for a fair while, but this is my first post, so I though I'd better say hello.

I'm finally getting my backside into gear to make myself another smoker to complement the trailer mounted reverse flow offset that I use when catering. This one will be for home use, mainly for overnight cooks and run alongside then offset in the grand scale of things.

With that in mind, I've just purchased a set of plans from Frank to build the larger GF, so be prepared for some (probably) stupid questions along the way. I'll try to remember to take lots of photos of the build and as I name my smokers (don't we all?), I may even crack open a suggestions box for a name once it's done.

If anyone has any helpful tips, I'd be eternally grateful .

Cheer all.

Trev

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Hi all from the UK

Post by Big T » February 5th, 2022, 5:54 pm

Welcome aboard!!

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Post by SheffSmoker » February 5th, 2022, 10:48 pm

Welcome Trev, from another UK fella. :)

You can never have too many hammers.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 6th, 2022, 3:05 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Olibinoui
Just Got in trouble for buying tools
Just Got in trouble for buying tools

Post by Olibinoui » February 6th, 2022, 7:42 am

:welcome:

bbq time

:welder: Let’s smoke. :welder:
Hobart Handler 200
Hypertherm Powermax 45 XP

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 6th, 2022, 10:46 am

Sounds like a great build and that you already have a ton of experience in both building and smoking. I'm sure you have this under control but we are all here to answer whatever issues come up.

Welcome!

trevini

Post by trevini » February 6th, 2022, 1:34 pm

SheffSmoker wrote:
February 5th, 2022, 10:48 pm
I'm guessing you're based somewhere near Sheffield with a name like that. I'm over in the far east (I'm actually the most Easterly purveyor of Low and Slow in the UK).

Seeing that you have a bbq team, If you ever get the chance pop down to Cornwall, head over to Pentillie Castle for their Pengrillie competition which usually takes place in July/August. It's not a full on KCBS comp, more a local fine event, but it's a good day out and pretty chilled all round, plus it's a fantastic venue (it was used in the series Delicious).

trevini

Post by trevini » February 6th, 2022, 1:37 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 10:46 am
Sounds like a great build and that you already have a ton of experience in both building and smoking. I'm sure you have this under control but we are all here to answer whatever issues come up.

Welcome!
Don't know about under control! I built my first smoker back in about 2002, having converted a beer keg grill into a smoker using stuff I had laying around. I had no idea what I was doing, but it used to produce good food regardless of that fact. The trailer mount was a purchase rather than self build, so I can't take any credit for that. I do love a stick burner though and it does tend to be my go to even for home use.

Thanks for the warm welcome all.

SheffSmoker
Expert
Expert
Title: Junk Fettler
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing, normally too drunk.

Post by SheffSmoker » February 6th, 2022, 2:08 pm

trevini wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 1:34 pm
SheffSmoker wrote:
February 5th, 2022, 10:48 pm
I'm guessing you're based somewhere near Sheffield with a name like that. I'm over in the far east (I'm actually the most Easterly purveyor of Low and Slow in the UK).

Seeing that you have a bbq team, If you ever get the chance pop down to Cornwall, head over to Pentillie Castle for their Pengrillie competition which usually takes place in July/August. It's not a full on KCBS comp, more a local fine event, but it's a good day out and pretty chilled all round, plus it's a fantastic venue (it was used in the series Delicious).
Keen eye, I'm from there originally but living near Oxfordshire now. :) Haven't got a team and don't compete either, just thought it was a good analogy of what happens on some of the longer smokes by the time the brisket is ready! :D

Which bit of East - if it's where I'm thinking I'm sure some of my family have eaten your wares if you have a restaurant!

Didn't know about the comp in Cornwall, we love it down there and go down at least once a year, so will look it up, thanks :)

You can never have too many hammers.

trevini

Post by trevini » February 6th, 2022, 2:32 pm

Just on the outskirts of Lowestoft, Suffolk. If you were thinking of this area, I reckon it was The Grange just outside Caister you went to. They're very good, but it's not me. We don't have a restaurant (yet), but mostly cater for weddings/parties.

[url] https://www.facebook.com/PenGrillie url] for all the latest information. Our "local" comp in the Malden Smoke and Fire Festival. I rarely get the chance to go to any thought, as we're flat out over summer with the weddings and parties

Deano
beginner
beginner

Post by Deano » February 9th, 2022, 2:10 am

Welcome! Have only recently joined myself and am also building the double pan gravity fed cabinet. Well, I say building but so far I've purchased the plans and have mostly been trawling the existing build threads and trying to get a list of QoL improvements people have made so I can learn from others mistakes :D

Former UK here (London and then Colchester) but live in Greece now.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 9th, 2022, 10:37 am

Deano wrote:
February 9th, 2022, 2:10 am
...and have mostly been trawling the existing build threads and trying to get a list of QoL improvements people have made so I can learn from others mistakes...
We don't make mistakes here, lol. We just keep modifying and welding until we get the desired results!

Return to “Introduce yourself!”