Hello from Upland CA

Tell us a little about yourself!
ChieffaninL.A.
beginner
beginner

Hello from Upland CA

Post by ChieffaninL.A. » February 22nd, 2022, 2:55 pm

Hello everyone, my name is Miguel and I am new to this forum and new to smoker building. I recently purchased a used air compressor in the hopes of making a smoker. I bought the plans for a 24x48 offset and dipping my toes into it. A question I have is my tank is slightly smaller than 24x48 (actually 20x48) so would like to get a more accurate size for the firebox. Another question I have is what tips would you give to get rid of all the crud from inside the compressor. My compressor is from 1959 and it had plenty of rust among other things. I spent all weekend cleaning but still have rust that cant seem to clean off, any suggestions on how to properly clean the inside. Thanks for the help.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: Hello from Upland CA

Post by Big T » February 22nd, 2022, 10:02 pm

Welcome aboard! You can use the pit calculator to get all of your dimensions for the 20'' cook chamber. The inside of the tank can be cleaned with a wire wheel on a grinder or media blasted if it's in the budget. Whatever method that you choose I would be sure to get it clean before you start working on it, that way you can see if there are any pin holes in the tank.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » February 23rd, 2022, 2:53 am

Welcome aboard!

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » February 23rd, 2022, 8:17 pm

I've become a huge fan of ceramic grit flap wheels the last few years. Almost never use my grinding wheel anymore and don't even own a usable wire wheel. Key to have they wear away at the same rate the abrasive gets dull so you always have new cutting material. Cubitron 2 makes an awesome product and is my go-to for stripping and cleaning welds and rusty surfaces.

For just rust, scotch makes a wheel that is kinda like a plastic Brillo pad...called scotch bright clean and strip xt. It works great for rust and paint removal as well as blending grinding marks. Best part is it requires very little pressure and leave shiny metal surface. They are expensive but worth every cent.

Wow...that sounds like an advertisement but I assure you it's just my 2 cents!

ChieffaninL.A.
beginner
beginner

Post by ChieffaninL.A. » February 24th, 2022, 3:31 pm

Dirtytires wrote:
February 23rd, 2022, 8:17 pm
I've become a huge fan of ceramic grit flap wheels the last few years. Almost never use my grinding wheel anymore and don't even own a usable wire wheel. Key to have they wear away at the same rate the abrasive gets dull so you always have new cutting material. Cubitron 2 makes an awesome product and is my go-to for stripping and cleaning welds and rusty surfaces.

For just rust, scotch makes a wheel that is kinda like a plastic Brillo pad...called scotch bright clean and strip xt. It works great for rust and paint removal as well as blending grinding marks. Best part is it requires very little pressure and leave shiny metal surface. They are expensive but worth every cent.

Wow...that sounds like an advertisement but I assure you it's just my 2 cents!
Nice, I will give them a look, thanks.

ChieffaninL.A.
beginner
beginner

Post by ChieffaninL.A. » February 24th, 2022, 5:28 pm

Big T wrote:
February 22nd, 2022, 10:02 pm
Welcome aboard! You can use the pit calculator to get all of your dimensions for the 20'' cook chamber. The inside of the tank can be cleaned with a wire wheel on a grinder or media blasted if it's in the budget. Whatever method that you choose I would be sure to get it clean before you start working on it, that way you can see if there are any pin holes in the tank.
Yeah spent this past weekend cleaning off the crud and rust using a wire wheel, sanding disk among other things. Still have some rust, just trying to get some ideas on what other methods people have used. Thanks for the reply.

Return to “Introduce yourself!”