New member (Hello!) and need quick advice.

Tell us a little about yourself!
RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

New member (Hello!) and need quick advice.

Post by RMB BBQ » April 14th, 2022, 6:41 pm

Hi everyone, Jason here from the Chicagoland area. I've been lurking here for years and have gathered material and tools to start my smoker project. I've had a lot of fun doing amateur BBQ competitions in which I won my very first one I entered back in 2013. I haven't done any more since 2018 because I vowed I wouldn't until I built my smoker trailer.

So far I have...
-Tandem axle trailer that needs to be restored. Want it to be 20' overall from tounge to firebox.

-200 gallon tank

-100 gallon tank

-$$$$ for plasma cutter and welder.

I'm planning on running two separate non-insulated offset smokers in back with a fully enclosed kitchen on the front of the trailer.

Here's my dilemma, I have a lead on a 500 gallon tank and I'm thinking of splitting it in two and having two 250 gallon smokers. Reason being is that the smokers will be shorter in size giving me more room up front for the kitchen, around two feet by my estimates. That's a lot of space!

So the question is has anyone built a smoker using half of a 500 gallon propane tank? Is there any drawbacks to this in terms of air flow? By picturing this it would be a pretty stubby smoker.

Anyway, some advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Re: New member (Hello!) and need quick advice.

Post by Back9Q » April 14th, 2022, 8:54 pm

Reason you need 2? Can run just 500 and use back space as kitchen. May actually give you more room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » April 15th, 2022, 3:28 am

Welcome aboard

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » April 15th, 2022, 6:43 am

Back9Q wrote:
April 14th, 2022, 8:54 pm
Reason you need 2? Can run just 500 and use back space as kitchen. May actually give you more room

Not sure what you mean. A 500 gallon tank is roughly 10' long, by cutting in the middle it would shorten it to 5' plus the length of the firebox.

I thought it would be cool to have two separate smokers so I can run different woods, temps, meats, side dishes ect. I've never really seen a smoker trailer with the smoker up front and kitchen in back, but if it can somehow gain me more kitchen space I'm game. Just having a hard time picturing it.

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Back9Q » April 15th, 2022, 7:05 am

You will likely have small temp zones in the 500 and if added higher shelf you well have even more fluctuation. You should be able to cook everything on one and would save a lot of time and effort

Regarding kitchen on back I meant behind smoker. Depending on width of trailer

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » April 15th, 2022, 11:13 am

I'm not sure the interest in burning two different woods would be enough for me to want to build and hen operate two different pits. Interesting idea but not sure how practical it would be. Just my two cents....

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » April 15th, 2022, 4:04 pm

This is what I was imagining. A cross between these two trailers, kitchen up front and a 500 gallon smoker turned into two seperate smokers.

Thank you for the replies and opinions!
634af4_2643572301094daba560c1fa55e267ed.jpg
smoker-2.jpg

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Back9Q » April 15th, 2022, 5:42 pm

Im with dirty. Running one offset is a lot of work. Dont make it harder on yourself

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » April 15th, 2022, 6:12 pm

Well, going to have to admit it sucks taking other peoples advice, but I'm sure you two know better than me seeing I have never ran an offset smoker, just my 3 Green Eggs.

So back to the drawing board. I will definitely have a enclosed kitchen, but now have to rework 1 smoker into a 20' trailer. Maximum kitchen space and maximum smoking space.

There's a lot of info on why I'm doing this build that I don't want to talk about yet but most of it is for "hopefully" starting a non-profit that will somehow help some cancer patients. My wife got hit with it "Ovarian" and is beating it. We love doing amateur comps but would like to do some pro comps too. I suppose I could start with one smoker and if I see the need for two I can refigure the trailer.

As a side note I'm a Foreman Electrician running many things at once, so I'm used to multitasking, that's why I didn't think two would be a problem. I've ran all 3 green eggs at once and still had time to drink🤣

Back to the drawing board.

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Back9Q » April 15th, 2022, 6:22 pm

Sorry hear about wife. Hope it all works out

For offset not a whole lot of sitting around time. Feeding fire every 20-30 min and adding two pits you can be alternating every 10. Add in all meat the pits will hold and the rotation, wrap, spritz etc and your on your feet 9-10 hours of a 12 hour cook

How wide is trailer?

Put 500 on far edge so you stand on ground and have access to door. Can use wheel covers as shelf if designed properly. The space behind smoker used for sink,grill,propane burner,etc

Storage space near tongue for wood and other essentials

Back9Q
Needs more Steel
Needs more Steel

Post by Back9Q » April 15th, 2022, 6:26 pm

Here is example. Sink and other items down back and wood storage up front in basket

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » April 16th, 2022, 2:26 am

Maybe build the smoker and add one or two drum smokers (UDS) for different things. Easy to run and useful for maintaining different temps.

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » April 16th, 2022, 9:39 am

These are all great ideas. The trailer is at a buddy's tow yard so I have to go and get the dimensions, but I think it's between 78"-82" wide.

Maybe take a 500 gallon and cut off some of it for the firebox? Size it to accommodate the kitchen up front? Instead of ugly drum I can take my 100 gallon tank and buil a small offset for side dishes? I would then be able to run the smaller one when the 500 isn't needed. Plus it would give me a place to store firewood as mentioned.

Just trying to piece this together as I planning to start the build in May, plus I need to purchase the 500 within 7 days.

Heck, maybe even cut the bell end of the tank and use it as a open grill?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » April 16th, 2022, 2:13 pm

Don't get reaped by your 20 foot length. Remember the firebox can hang off the back (gaining about 36 inches) as long as it is properly supported and has ground clearance. You can then work your sink, fridge or storage area back behind the side of the pit to maximize your interior kitchen floor space. Also, if the weight is balanced properly, it is easy to build out your trailer tongue area for more space as well. Lots of options but running two pits is nothing more than a time-sucker that has minimal benefit. Your time is better spent prepping sides and getting ready to serve the meal than feeding logs to a hungry fire.

With todays steel prices, you will also save $1500 and 40 man-hours with a single pit vs two. Time and money that can really make your "ok" trailer an "awesome" on.

Best to you and the Mrs. It's a noble cause and one to be proud of.

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » April 16th, 2022, 11:27 pm

Thank you all for the great suggestions. Having one smoker and utilizing the back of it to free up some Kitchen space sounds great so that'll be the route I go.

As far as the smoker goes, do I have a thumbs up for a 500 gallon tank and cutting some of it off for the firebox? Seems to me I can save myself some money on steel, plus I like the idea of a round firebox.

Sorry for the late post but I've been running 3/4" copper lines today for my air compressor. Trying to finish it for the plasma cutter. Just put in a sub panel on the garage erlier this month so I can power everything to get this project started!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » April 17th, 2022, 2:03 am

Figure 26% of your 500 is needed for the FB.

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » April 17th, 2022, 10:06 am

Awesome! I can't wait for you all to see what I have in store for this project. If I can translate what's in my head to finished product, then this is going to be one hell of a build! I've been waiting years to do this and everything is finally falling into place.

Thank you all again for pointing me in the right direction. Thought I had this all figured out but knew to ask here first before starting. Happy Eater all!

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » June 3rd, 2022, 4:11 pm

Need an opinion.

The 500 gallon I wanted didn't happen. I'm switching gears and getting a 250 on Sunday.

I currently have:

-(1) 200 gallon propane tank

-(1) 100 gallon compressor tank.

-Just insalled 100amp service to garage, indtalled a 60 gallon air compressor "system", purchased a welder and plasma cutter plus just finished building a welding table. The welding table was a great project to get my feet wet with uses my newly purchased tools.

I'm going to use part of the 200 gallon for the firebox of the 250. Do you think it would be a bad idea to use the other part of the 200 for the firebox for the 100? The 100 is 24" diameter and the 200 is 30".

I know aesthetically it won't be the best but I'll have two. One for the trailer and one for smaller cooks at home.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » June 4th, 2022, 1:50 am

Maybe use the leftover ~4' of the 250 for the CC and cut up the 100 for the FB.

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » June 4th, 2022, 8:29 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 1:50 am
Maybe use the leftover ~4' of the 250 for the CC and cut up the 100 for the FB.
You mean what's left of the 200? You are right, Iwould have about 4' left from the 200. Roughly 115-120 gallons.

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert

Post by Dirtytires » June 4th, 2022, 11:16 am

Round fireboxes are absolutely fine and a lot of guy use them. I've always been a supporter of going square on the firebox as it makes it easier to build, clean and size properly. I know steel is still expensive tho so using what you have is nice too sometimes.

RMB BBQ
beginner
beginner

Post by RMB BBQ » June 4th, 2022, 1:15 pm

After all the $$ I put into the air supply, welder, plasma cutter, 100 amp sub panel and welding table over then last 3 months killed my funds. I can't believe the price on steel. I'm trying to save where I can without cutting corners.