First build - 20x60 stick burner

Tell us a little about yourself!
Beagle Bones
beginner
beginner

First build - 20x60 stick burner

Post by Beagle Bones » August 16th, 2022, 6:59 pm

I've wanted an offset smoker for sometime now. I've had a PBC for 9+ yrs? and a gravity feed for 3 yrs. Might as well complete the set. I found a piece of steel pipe on CL for $75. It's 20"OD x 0.27? x 63". I was looking for 22-24" OD, but the price and overall length were too good to pass up. It's rustier than I'd like, but I'm hoping that can be remedied.

I like the look of the Franklin pit, so I ordered a tank end cap for the chimney side. The end cap has a 2" flange, so I plan to shorten the overall pipe to about 58". Though the end cap will add just over 6" to the length. Adding the smoke stack collector adds another 7". So the cook chamber will be just over 64" long, plus the smoke stack collector. I'll run the cook chamber numbers to through the online calculators to determine my firebox and exhaust pipe dimensions.

One of many questions I have right now; the cook chamber to fire box opening. The plans from this site call for a small trapezoid? opening & a fire box throat. Are those necessary? I would think that a half moon cut in the chamber, matched to a half moon cut in the fire box, and Bob's your Uncle.

Thanks for any, and all, help/suggestions.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Re: First build - 20x60 stick burner

Post by Big T » August 16th, 2022, 8:56 pm

Welcome aboard!! The shape of the throat doesn't matter, just as long as it's the required size.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Re: First build - 20x60 stick burner

Post by Pete Mazz » August 17th, 2022, 2:53 am

:welcome:

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators