builing a cooker out of lava rock.

Instructional posts about How to use the Forums. Feel free to ask questions here also.
memphisguynflagstaff

builing a cooker out of lava rock.

Post by memphisguynflagstaff » July 10th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Hey Guys,
I live in beatiful Flagstaff Az, we have an abundance of lava rock and river stone and was thinking that I should be able to build a smoker out of these materials along with concrete and some metal.
As a child in the seventies my grandfather lived in the ozarks in Hardy Arkansas and had a smoker built out of 50 gallon drums that he would rock in to stabilize the heat. Although he taught me secrets about bbqing that have have never heard of since and thats saying alot being that grew up in Memphis. He would cook rabbit, chicken, goat, pig all at the same time while drinking home made Muscadine Wine. That hilbilly cooked the best Q I have ever put in my mouth (again I did grow up in Memphis) boy i miss him!
Thinking building a smoker would be easy was nothing but my ignorance. If any one could give my advice and plans I would be willing to give my family secret as long as it stays a secret.

Never really understood how good Memphis Q is untill I traveled west. BBQ Beef....give me a break......lol........all in good fun!

If this could be in a better forum please help me out.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: builing a cooker out of lava rock.

Post by Rodcrafter » July 10th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Welcome to the crew, to get "plans" we would recommend www.smokerplans.net some of the money from those purchases keep this site going. As for what your looking for Frank Cox at that web site can make custom plans for you. He is an HVAC guy so he can get your air moving right. Now the rest of us can offer experience, strength and hope. For now and or on something to hold you over until you get the " sweet permanent smoker" built.

Making memories.

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Frank_Cox
Site Admin
Site Admin
BBQ Comp Team Name: https://smokerbuilderu.com

Post by Frank_Cox » July 11th, 2015, 7:57 am

Welcome aboard!
I have been thinking of bulldog a brick or some put at my place also. The rules are the same I'd you want an offset style pit. You can use our calculator to help with sizing or use any of the plans as brother rodcrafter mentioned.

The Czar
Expert
Expert
Title: Spam Hammerer
BBQ Comp Team Name: Team SmokerBuilder- Competition BBQ Team
I'm Certifiable

Post by The Czar » July 15th, 2015, 6:32 am

Welcome!!!

If you can't fix it by sheer force or cursing......then it can't be fixed.....

AKA= The Czar

Return to “Forum How To's”