Pizza oven build

Go Big or go home... as SmokerTom always says.
towtruck
Expert
Expert

Re: Pizza oven build

Post by towtruck » October 9th, 2021, 10:55 pm

tinspark wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 10:24 pm
towtruck wrote:
October 9th, 2021, 10:08 pm
I have been working on the wall around my pizza oven. I have the brown coat of stucco on and will be putting the color/top coat on soon. I had 100 square feet of surface to stucco and while I am not new to cement work I have never actually laid down stucco. I have hung so much stucco wire/lath in my youth that I never want to ever see that crap again. This was easier as I just had to prep the concrete block wall with a sealer/adhesive coat and then lay the brown coat on. I was slow and mixed 1.5 gallons of product at a time and just went slow. For the top coat I need to do it all at once to keep the color even so I will employ the wife to be my mud mixer as I apply the stucco. I'll get some pictures up once it's all done. Having the wall flat and one color really does look so much better than the dry stacked block wall alone.
A buddy of mine helped me dash coat my house. we applied a blue glue that's is made for the dash with a paint gun, then used an el-cheapo texture hopper. Mine was one of the $25 home depot gravity feed to apply the dash coat, but are actually made to apply texture to sheet rock. It came with 3 tip sizes and we used the largest tip. It has been about 1-1/2 years and still looks great. I have seen dash coat applied to block walls too. I wonder if this might have been easier?? It comes in many colors too, so it doesn't need to be painted once applied.. The grout joint would have to be flat and not concaved since teh coat is relatively thin compared to stucco..
When I built the wall 18 years ago I anticipated putting stucco on it so I dry stacked it. It has a split face to the outside of the yard and smooth on the patio side. The only place that had a grout line was the top cap. I filled that line first then applied the brown coat. I am just going to start laying the color coat on and see what pattern forms with the float I have. I am not going for perfectly flat and may try and get a skip coat look to it.....I'm totally winging it. If it goes on like the brown coat did it will look good enough for me.

towtruck
Expert
Expert

Post by towtruck » October 10th, 2021, 3:17 pm

Here is the finished wall.....and I mean just finished ...still wet wall. The color should dry out closer to the color of the house......Came out really nice. very flat and even.

tinspark
Expert
Expert
Title: Papa Oso

Post by tinspark » October 10th, 2021, 4:35 pm

towtruck wrote:
October 10th, 2021, 3:17 pm
Here is the finished wall.....and I mean just finished ...still wet wall. The color should dry out closer to the color of the house......Came out really nice. very flat and even.
Looks GREAT! love that pizza oven too.
A pizza oven is something that I have wanted to build for some time now too!
Maybe in the future, Until then we continue to support our local 'ma-n-pa' pizza guy around the corner on a weekly basis.
My kids loves his pizza! But I am happy to know that more can be cooked in those things besides pizza. Keep the outside oven food pics coming. It may be inspiration needed to get one started here!! HAAH

Regards,
"tinspark's" build links below:
Last build-GF:https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 30#p114730
First build- Santa Maria Smoker:
https://smokerbuilder.com/forums/viewto ... 7a614a230a
Santa Maria Rebuild: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=7533&p=112344&hili ... 34#p112344

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » October 10th, 2021, 8:46 pm

It looks great!