New build, seeking input

Tell us a little about yourself!
Finster
beginner
beginner

New build, seeking input

Post by Finster » March 30th, 2018, 8:05 am

Just wanted to say Hello from Iowa. First time poster, long time lurker. Im Aaron. Im an industrial mechanic currently working in a foundry. I do a lot of fabrication at work, and have a modest collection of tools at home. So what Brought me here? Well, I took a couple of days off last year to do some work around the house. I had a brisket going, and while tending the smoker I was working on an old pop up camper I had acquired and was gutting to make a utility trailer. That's about the time the boy came around and started watching. Soon he was asking me to teach him to weld. So I let him weld on the trailer a bit. I think he was starting to figure out the MIG, so I got out some 7018. He struggled with that quite a bit. When the trailer was done, we fooled around with some scrap, but there's only so much you can learn welding on scrap. That's when I thought we need to start a new project. A father/son project. And I thought a new smoker....Why not?

The smoker I currently have came from my wife. She owned it before we married. Its paper thin, tends to run hot, and won't hold a steady temp for more than 30 minutes. It works, but its not the most enjoyable to use. I started using the minion method on this last year and it made it 10x better. Ive had to patch it a few times, and the fire box has almost had it. Its showing its age. So Im looking to upgrade. After researching, we decided on another offset, but only this one a trailer mounted reverse flow. We also figured we'd use an old propane tank. That seems to be pretty common. Theyre nice and thick, and looked to be readily available.

So I started searching for materials. Mostly on FB marketplace and craigslist. I originally wanted a 150 gallon. Those proved very difficult to find. I changed my mind and decided to look for a 250 gallon and still didn't have much luck. A few came up here and there but they were either priced way too high, or they were sold before I called about them. After surfing the net a while, I figured it must be a regional thing. If I search down south toward Ok, and Tx, I can find them all day long for dirt cheap. It seems the further north you go, the harder they get to find. But that makes sense. A lot of people here are on natural gas, and if you are on propane, you don't have less than a 500 gallon tank. Most people have 1000 or better. You might find a 250 on a garage or workshop, but that's about it. Not much came up over winter, I guess no one was looking to get rid of there yard junk when it was covered with snow anyway. Last week, after the majority of our snow melted I found a 250. I called and the guy said someone was coming to look at it. He took my number and said he'd call if it didn't get sold. I assumed I wouldn't hear back, but the next day he called and said he still had it. I grabbed my trailer and headed down to get it. It was just over 1 1/2 hours away. When I got there, I was surprised at its size. I thought it was a 500 gallon. The guy assured me it was a 250. I checked the tag. He was reading the shell thickness. .250. Gallons was listed at 300. I took it anyway, just because its a 30", the same diameter of a 250, and I kind of figured we'd chop one end off to make room for a warmer anyway. He took $200 for it, so this is what I have to start with;
2018032395091730.jpg
The next day, I stumbled across a trailer. Its rough, but nothing that cant be fixed. He was looking for $150. He took $100. I think I did alright. Thats less than what id spend on just an axle if I opted to build one. Currently, its a 4 x 8, but it will be closer to a 4 x 6 when im done. I plan to chop it off just behind the fender so the majority of the load is above the axle. I also planned to cut out the straight tongue and build an a-frame one the front;
2018032595192238.jpg
This is where I need some input and a little direction so we can get started. Whats a good size in a 30" diameter for a smoker? I was thinking around 60" or so. I want something big enough to use for family reunions, and my kids birthdays without struggling for room, but at the same time the majority of its use is going to be on occasion for a family of 5. I don't want to burn down an apple tree every time I want to throw a few ribs on. What would be a good compromise on length?

The original plan was to chop off one end to make room for a warmer and use the rest for the CC. The end I would probably turn into a fire ring. But the extra length also opens up another possibility. I have 105" of length to work with. If I go a little shorter, say around 52", I have enough cook chamber to build 2 of them. Not that I need or want a second one, but I could possibly sell it and recoup most of the money I spend on material. Of course that's a much larger upfront investment, and will be much more taxing on my time. I have no desires to build these as a business, but the thought of recouping money spent on steel is more than tempting. Last quote I got for 1/4" plate was $285 a sheet.

My last debacle was one door or two? I like the look of the 2 door, and minimizing heat loss when checking, mopping, whatever. But the single door leaves it wide open for larger cooks. A whole hog even. But I would think you'd lose a ton of heat opening it up. I think a single door would be more difficult to get to seal right too? Any one had both and have a preference? Opinions?

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Re: New build, seeking input

Post by Dirtytires » March 30th, 2018, 10:46 am

Great score on the tank.

That is going to be a bit oversized for a family smoker but would definitely give you room to grow. It will use (roughly) the same amount of fuel for 1rack of ribs or 30pork shoulders.

Check the load rating on the trailer axle and frame, if you are going to retain them. Your finished weight could easily approach 2000 lbs for that size smoker and if you plan to toss a few coolers, wood and supplies that weight could go up fast. Just make sure the trailer is rated as such to keep it safe.

My recommendation is one door is plenty for a 60inch smoker. Having 2 doors on that size is not really necessary and just forces you to use short racks instead of some beautiful long shelves. As far as the heat loss goes, once I put the meat on, I only check it once and take it off at the end so not really an issue. If built properly, the heat will rebound in about 7-10 minutes.

Just my opinion...we look forward to seeing your progress.

Finster
beginner
beginner

Post by Finster » March 30th, 2018, 11:08 am

Thanks. Like I stated earlier, the original plan was to find a 150. I think that size would have suited me better as far as my planned usage but that size is surprisingly hard to find here. The closest I could come was a 120 gallon air compressor tank and I nixed that idea just because of the thinner shell. I want something with a little beef to it to stand up to the elements a little better. I was thinking around a 24 x 24 x 24 firebox for roughly that size. I should add I familiarized myself with Feldon's BBQ Pit/Smoker Build Calculator and that size puts me close to 100%. I also do plan to insulate at least the firebox.

I have no idea the weight on the trailer axle. Its a homemade trailer, and the axle appears to be an old cast iron truck, or tractor axle. Im not too worried about loading it. Im sure whatever load it carried in its former life was twice what I plan to put on it.

Rodcrafter
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by Rodcrafter » March 30th, 2018, 12:24 pm

Welcome to the crew!

:welcome:

I think you may want to be grateful for the size. Because this allows you to build a deeper 140 gallon, which is awesome. If you are going to do the FB and WC above it, this will prove to be an great size for the numbers you will have. If you do it right you can cook those ribs just in the WC as a vertical and shut off the extra CC. I must tell you we just got a new Pit Calculator released. Not to say anything about Feldon's but here's a link to the one we now have.

http://bbqpitcalculator.com/

Have fun you can just set the other half behind the shed until you unveil your completed rig and have a bidding war for who wants you to make them one too.

Don't for get the pictures.

:rulz:

:hissy: :hissy: :hissy:

Current Smokers: Backyard RF Offset and Hybrid RF Offset trailer rig with Cowboy cooker and fish fryer, always room for more........

Finster
beginner
beginner

Post by Finster » March 30th, 2018, 1:50 pm

I will check out the new calculator, thanks for the link.

I have no experience with warmers, Ive never had a rig with one but I like the idea and would like to incorporate one in. I figured I'd put dampers between the CC and warmer, and I also wanted to add one between the FB and warmer also. I think I read on another post that with a damper directly into the FB, you can get the warmer upwards of 500º? Im not sure how often Id use that other than maybe searing a steak, but if you can get a warmer that hot, whats to stop you from putting in a pizza stone and baking pizza in it? Cooked on wood coals, it would be the same as having a brick oven. That I might use. My kids enjoy pizza now and again, and I don't make a half bad pie. Ive never cooked one on anything other than a pizza stone in the oven so the idea intrigues me. It would also allow me to cook cornbread right there in the warmer. The wife wont let me make bbq without cornbread to go with it. Her rules. Maybe it wont work the way I envision it, but Im all about making things as versatile as possible.

I will be sure to include lots of pics when we actually start the building process, unfortunately that may not be until late spring or summer. I have other chores that need done first before the wife will let me start another project. Im hoping not to make it too long though. We just bought a Berkshire hog and sent it to the locker. Id like to have some of that yummy pork left for the first cook.

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » March 30th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Welcome aboard!! All good advice above and I would also recommend the baffles from the FB to WC , FB to CC and CC to WC. If you have all three baffles the cooking options are endless. You'll also be surprised just how efficient these things are when built to spec, once up to temp they'll burn a couple of splits an hour on average. We all understand about keeping the Misses happy, just makes life easier.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » March 31st, 2018, 4:22 am

Welcome

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

ajfoxy
Expert
Expert
Title: Neophyte Smoker Bldr

Post by ajfoxy » April 2nd, 2018, 6:11 pm

Welcome to the crew

Learning generally boils down to "Repetition or the avoidance of pain", some people learn by doing, some by watching and some just have to pee on the electric fence.

Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right. Henry Ford

Finster
beginner
beginner

Post by Finster » January 11th, 2023, 10:03 pm

I know this is an old thread, but needless to say, the smoker project was put on hold for a little while. My father in law, while meaning well, gifted us a Traeger. An awesome gift to say the least, but it kind of robbed me of my motivation to build my own, and made it much harder to justify the cost of material to the wife. I don't have much bad to say about the Traeger. It makes decent food, and is super easy to use. Its served us well over the years. Its still going strong, but its definitely not the same. While my results are much more consistent, my best food on a wood smoker was far and away better than anything I've managed on the Traeger. I miss the smoke ring. While its still there, its not as dark and flavorful. The results are more what I would expect out of an oven. Ive actually started using Hickory Smoke Powder in my rubs to try and artificially add back what its lacking.

And life, being life, I lost my wife a couple years ago. :-?? Our kids were still a little on the young side so on top of my full time job, only parenting became a full time job of its own. After a full day of work at work, and another full day of work at home, Ive had absolutely no time to do much of anything else for the last couple of years. Now that they are a little older, and becoming more self reliant, I decided to get back to the smoker. Its sat at idle for way too long. So today I emailed my steel guy and put in an order. It should be here by the end of the week.

So Im back, seeking the same advice I was I was looking for 5 years ago. I honestly dont remember creating an account, let alone starting a thread but I guess I have a head start. I changed plans a little bit. Im still planning a reverse flow. I decided to extend the CC making it bigger than I originally planned, using most of that 300 gallon tank. This will likely be something I just use at party's, events, and family gatherings. The CC size will end up being 30"x80". According to planetcalc.com cylinder calculator, it should be 45566.14 cubic inches. According the calculator here at smokerbuilder.com, a firebox that is 24x30x24 should be adequate. Im still planning to insulate the FB. Ive heard mixed results as to whether or not its more efficient. If nothing else, it should save me from constantly having to repaint it every time I burn the paint off. Does anyone see anything wrong with these numbers? I will likely try and start on the FB over the long weekend, and want to make sure my numbers are right before I start cutting steel. Other than the FB, I can probably start on the trailer over the winter. Id like to cut off the hitch coupler and turn it into an A frame to be sure it can take the additional weight. I will likely also build a box out of expanded to go opposite of the cooker to hold splits. The tank itself is burried in the back yard, which is a muddy mess right now. I want to wait until the ground dries before I get the skid loader back there to get it or I'll leave ruts everywhere. So cutting into that may not be until spring.

One more dumb question that I cant seem to find an answer to......Where does the bottom of the stack go on a reverse flow? I know on a traditional offset, you want it about at cook grate level. Is this true for a reverse flow also or should it be at the top of the CC?

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » January 12th, 2023, 2:50 am

Wow! So sorry for your loss, but welcome back.

I'm getting differing numbers so if you can give us the dimensions you plugged into the calc that would help.

You'll get differing opinions on stack location. My feeling is don't worry about it too much. Smoke doesn't take a direct route from the FB to the CC to the stack. It swirls around the CC several times before exiting. The stack collectors certainly look cool tho.

Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn

Post by Barrion2018 » January 12th, 2023, 6:53 am

Welcome back! Can't wait to see pictures of your build.

Aside from that, I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

Finster
beginner
beginner

Post by Finster » January 12th, 2023, 10:08 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 2:50 am

I'm getting differing numbers so if you can give us the dimensions you plugged into the calc that would help.

You'll get differing opinions on stack location. My feeling is don't worry about it too much. Smoke doesn't take a direct route from the FB to the CC to the stack. It swirls around the CC several times before exiting. The stack collectors certainly look cool tho.
Ok, so here is what I planned with the tank. I was going to cut one end off completely and use about 70" of the barrel of the tank, leaving one of the bell ends that is about 10" wide, making it 80" in total.
tank.jpg
Those are the numbers I used to calculate the tank volume at https://planetcalc.com/5185/. One side was left blank because it will be cut off.
tank volume.jpg
Using that tank volume, this is what the pit calculator said;
pitcalc.jpg
Maybe Im using the calculators wrong? I just wanted to verify this is correct before I began cutting. Steel has gotten expensive since the last time I bought any.

Finster
beginner
beginner

Post by Finster » January 12th, 2023, 10:55 am

Pete Mazz wrote:
January 12th, 2023, 2:50 am

Ok, I reviewed my numbers and it looks like I was using the wrong overall length number in the tank volume calculator. The overall length should have been 80", not 70" which makes my volume 226.84 gallons.
tankvolume2.jpg
So I adjusted my FB size accordingly.
pitcalc2.jpg
Does this look better?

Finster
beginner
beginner

Post by Finster » January 12th, 2023, 2:31 pm

Steel is here.
20230112_132815.jpg
I wasn't expecting to pick it up until tomorrow so I'll likely spend the rest of the day cleaning out the garage so I have room to work.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Pete Mazz » January 13th, 2023, 3:47 am

Makes sense now. Rerun the FB dims again to make any changes.