Stuck wheels

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
rbbennett

Stuck wheels

Post by rbbennett » November 30th, 2022, 10:46 pm

HELP. Just got a large offset smoker given to me. Problem is we loaded with front end loader onto trailer. Got it home and it won’t roll off trailer or at all. One wheel will turn maybe 1/2” other os seized completely. It is 10” pipe about 3” across with 1/2 rod spikes and a 2” pipe hub on 1 1/2 pipe. Sprayed with PB Blaster as best I could. Put a little heat on it with propane torch. Only about 5 mins. Will tackle in the morning but looking for wise tips. It’s been sitting for a long time not used behind the barn. CC door is seized shut also but can easily cut hinges and replace. But need off trailer tomorrow and only way off is rolling.

rbbennett

Re: Stuck wheels

Post by rbbennett » November 30th, 2022, 10:57 pm

Spokes not spikes

rbbennett

Post by rbbennett » December 1st, 2022, 9:49 am

I have one free but the other is still not budging. will try heat, but any suggestions before I work on it would be appreciated.

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » December 2nd, 2022, 3:20 am

I can't think of anything better than PB blaster if it's just rust. That or get a bigger hammer :)

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators

JKalchik
Expert
Expert
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by JKalchik » December 2nd, 2022, 9:21 am

I've had quite good luck with a 50/50 mix of acetone and the cheapest ATF I can find (seems to be Ford branded..... go figure. :D .) PB Blaster is pretty good. There's also Aerokroil, but that can be hard to come by.

"Measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with fireaxe." Ted M., USCG (ret)
"Smoked pork. It belongs in me." Giles L

Dirtytires
Expert
Expert
Title: It ain't broke...yet
BBQ Comp Team Name: Dont compete...cook for events once in a while

Post by Dirtytires » December 3rd, 2022, 1:57 pm

Wd40 makes a pretty good penetrating/rust oil that I have used with success. The biggest problem is getting (any type of) oil into the hub in the first place. You might be able to drill a hole in the wheel hub--just thru the hub, not the axle--- and work some oil into the center section between the hub and axle. May need to drill a few holes depending on the rust buildup.