collector efficiency...or not

Horizontal smokers with a side firebox and tuning plates.
737diesel
beginner
beginner

collector efficiency...or not

Post by 737diesel » January 20th, 2023, 1:47 pm

Greetings, my 94 gallon offset is up and smoking and I am pleased so far with the results. Yesterday, after adding an upper rack to it, I was looking at my collector chamber and started second guessing my design. I don't think I have any BIG airflow problems, but since smooth laminar(mostly) airflow is essential to my occupation, why not aim for more efficiency in the smoker?
When I cut my stack to fit in the chamber, I left some extra material on both sides of the stack that protrude into the chamber and create pockets. Why? I don't know, other than its my first go at this and NOT my only head scratcher. I don't really know how to gauge the actual flow/efficiency at the collector, but these "wings" (for lack of better term) have to be creating some turbulent air.
I will try to add pics of what exists now, and a drawing of how I could easily add some "new" sides inside the chamber and create a much cleaner draw. In the drawings, I can add much easier than delete, as cutting those wings off would be a pain.
IMG_0071 (1).jpeg
IMG_0077.jpeg
And, here is what I can weld in(dashed lines)to fix it.
IMG_0079.jpeg
Let me know what you think. If I'm getting good results so far, does it need fixing?
94 gallon, 24x24 FB, collector height 5.5in, throat 86sq in. Stack 5in diam, 29 inches tall above top of cook chamber. Figures derived from the PitCalculator.
Thanks,
Chris

Barrion2018
SmokerBuilder Addict
SmokerBuilder Addict
Title: Never 2 Old 2 Learn
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Re: collector efficiency...or not

Post by Barrion2018 » January 20th, 2023, 2:37 pm

If you’re happy with the results, then I wouldn’t mess with it.

But! On the other hand, it would be very interesting to know by adding some “wings” to divert all the airflow straight to your stack improves the air flow.

SeenRed
Senior SmokerBuilder
Senior SmokerBuilder
Title: Member
BBQ Comp Team Name: Not competing yet...

Post by SeenRed » January 20th, 2023, 9:12 pm

Hello Chris,

I tend to stay in the “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it” camp.

737diesel wrote:
January 20th, 2023, 1:47 pm
I don't think I have any BIG airflow problems, but since smooth laminar(mostly) airflow is essential to my occupation, why not aim for more efficiency in the smoker?

But it sounds like you probably know a lot more than I do about aerodynamics/airflow. If you believe you can modify and make your airflow even better…I’ll be looking forward to seeing it! :kewl:

Red

Big T
Title: Go Getter
BBQ Comp Team Name: Backyard Boys

Post by Big T » January 20th, 2023, 10:25 pm

I'm sure that it would probably flow a little smoother without those wings, but I doubt that you'd ever notice the difference in how it cooks.

Measure Twice.....Cut Three Times.

737diesel
beginner
beginner

Post by 737diesel » January 21st, 2023, 1:20 am

Thank you for the responses, it will help me lean one way or the other to a decision. Personally, I'm under the impression that if I do change it, it will be better than it was. Having those stack side protrusions sticking out could result in unwanted back-pressure. On the other hand, the vacuum from the draft could easily overpower any imperfections. I'll let you know if I change it. Thanks again!

Pete Mazz
Administrator
Administrator
Title: Meathead

Post by Pete Mazz » January 21st, 2023, 3:05 am

I'm sure that it would probably flow a little smoother without those wings, but I doubt that you'd ever notice the difference in how it cooks.
This.

If it's tourist season, how come I can't shoot 'em?

Don't speak the language? Try this: Smoker Terminology

Try my SmokerBuilder Calculators